WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
7 pint of habanero salsa,

three cookie sheets, double lined with chopped peppers in the freezer, once frozen, into gallon freezer bags.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
15 pints of ground bison, one didn't seal so we had tacos for dinner last night :)

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was going to get started on the huge bag of jalapeno peppers but thought I would see if anyone knew how to get even semi-crisp pepper rings. We got a boatload this year. I normally plant 6 and 1 or 2 make it, this year it was 5. I have dried and frozen what I have room for and they are still going.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anything I can is usually soggy. Cant help you there.
:idunno

Yesterday I did 10- more quarts of spaghetti sauce. Today I found a bunch of stew beef on sale at the grocery store. I have 7 quarts in the pressure canner.

g

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Was going to get started on the huge bag of jalapeno peppers but thought I would see if anyone knew how to get even semi-crisp pepper rings. We got a boatload this year. I normally plant 6 and 1 or 2 make it, this year it was 5. I have dried and frozen what I have room for and they are still going.
Ball makes a product called Pickle Crisp. I would give that a try and see if it helped them out. I have some, and think I might give it a try myself when I do my next batch of jalapenos ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did 12 pints of extreme hot sauce and 3 half pints of sliced jalapenos.

Not holding out much hope for the hot sauce though. I put 10 fresh jalapenos/2 dried, 2 fresh cayenne, 5 dried, 3 fresh super chili's/5 dried, and 3 dried habanero's (plus the hot salsa mix) in this batch. DS and I gave it a taste test with some extra - made my whole mouth tingle, and had great flavor, but no heat :/ Hope leaving it sit a while heats it up! DS suggested this might do OK as a 'mild' sauce for guests - what do you guys think?! :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made 6 pints of apple butter, with about a quart still in the crockpot, which won't be processed. Also tried out my new dehydrator today; have a few beans, tomatoes, peppers, apple and banana in it just to see what it does.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Will do a quick batch of hot pepper-garlic jelly tonight, and probably some quick jars of chopped tomatoes. When I get more time I want to do ketchup and more salsa, probably more pizza sauce.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cleaned out my freezer a bit yesterday and turned some frozen turkey stock with meat into 7 pints of Turkey Veg soup and some frozen chicken stock 7 pints of Split Pea with Bacon Soup.

Set some beef bones on to simmer in two large pots with the onion, carrot, and celery bits leftover from the soup-making, and last night I put a gallon of Beef Stock into the fridge to cool, ready to make into soup.

Today is a busy day so it will have to wait for tomorrow to be made into soup and canned up, still looking for some recipes--want to make two types. I also want to get some more tomatoes from the farmer's market tomorrow for another batch of salsa and a batch of Tomato Basil Soup.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oof, just did 14 pints of tomato sauce. Should have been easy, but I had a few things go wrong. I finally admitted to myself that my ceramic top stove is not suited to canning. Because it constantly cycles the burner off and on, it takes hours to heat up the canning kettle. It is unwise to try and fool the cycling feature, because it is there to prevent the stovetop from cracking. Anyway, after getting up at 6 am to get the water going, and not having any boiling water by 8 am, I decided to try using the camp stove. It works a treat--vigorously boiling water in under a half hour. Rounded up all the propane tanks I could find, and started on batch 1.

Got batch 1 in the canner and was working on batch 2 when I reread the directions in the Blue Book. I had put in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice instead of 1 tablespoon. So I pulled the batch in the canner out, took off the lids and tossed them, added extra lemon juice, and reprocessed. I hate it when that sort of thing happens.