What are you fermenting today?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks Free. I think I'll toss this batch and start over. I couldn't imagine how anyone would like fermented food if you tasted that batch.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
All of us cut the salt on that recipe back. It is very tasty if you get it right :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I felt the same way, as it was my very first fermented thing after kombucha. I was on assignment by my doctor at the time so I pressed on. I don't regret it one bit! Keep going, you will find a version you like or a recipe you like. You will like some things and hate others....keep experimenting until you know what you can use as part of your regular diet. I like the condiments, that is for sure! Just remember that they are not like commercial, they are gourmet. Takes some getting used to.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was looking through the early pages of this thread to find a certain recipe, and found this (on p. 9, written by freemotion):

Kombucha was looked at more closely after Chernobel (sp?) when there was a community that had no cancer. Scientists investigated closely to see what was different in that community. They had clung to the old ways of taking some fermented foods every day, and kombucha was the most common.
I found it interesting in light of the discussion a few weeks ago about the tsunami and aftermath in Japan. This also reminded me that I remember reading somewhere, but no longer know where, that some people got through the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing better than others, and traced their success to daily consumption of miso.

As to what I am fermenting today - just the usual: kefir, wine vinegar, and am trying to see if I can get some malt vinegar going. It isn't smelling very vinegar-y yet though, and has been on the counter for about 6 weeks so far.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I was looking through the early pages of this thread to find a certain recipe, and found this (on p. 9, written by freemotion):

Kombucha was looked at more closely after Chernobel (sp?) when there was a community that had no cancer. Scientists investigated closely to see what was different in that community. They had clung to the old ways of taking some fermented foods every day, and kombucha was the most common.
I found it interesting in light of the discussion a few weeks ago about the tsunami and aftermath in Japan. This also reminded me that I remember reading somewhere, but no longer know where, that some people got through the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing better than others, and traced their success to daily consumption of miso.

As to what I am fermenting today - just the usual: kefir, wine vinegar, and am trying to see if I can get some malt vinegar going. It isn't smelling very vinegar-y yet though, and has been on the counter for about 6 weeks so far.
What was your starter for the malt vinegar? anything with hops is going to take quite a while if it ferments at all. that is why hops is added to beer originally as a Preserative and now days for the bitter flavor.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I fermented 3 condiments from the NT book about a month ago - mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Both the mayo and the ketchup regularly get covered in mold. The ketchup is very thick so I just keep scraping it off and putting it back in the fridge. The mayo, which never thickened up like the book said it would, I ended up tossing. Did I do something wrong? I thought one of the purposes of fermenting was to make it last months without spoiling, but this discourages me. Anybody else have this problem?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I get mold more often with store-bought ingredients and in hot room temps for the room temp phase. You can shorten the time it is at room temp as the fridge doesn't stop fermentation, it slows it.

I also have cheese molds in my house now, especially in my fermenting fridge, so if I see white mold I don't worry, I just scrape!

I have mustard and horseradish mustard marked 2009 that is still good. Guess I got carried away in '09! :p

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am fermenting my first batch of beer. I am also bopping around on the net today and am going to start my first natural sourdough.