Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No we really use it for the bugs and snakes. We have alot of swampy like land around us so snakes and bugs take over!

I never really though about cooking with it! But definitely a good idea!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ran the tiller in-between 2 50' rows of all seasons cabbage also called Vandergaw. They
are still kind of small, hoping they grab hold and take off here pretty quick, to form heads mid November.

Added picture - needs a side dress of fertilizer.
IMG_20181004_104648.jpg

Last edited:

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20181004_135446.jpg

My 2 year olds plants. She picked them all out her self. Lowes had them all reduced. I think the most expensive one was 1.00! She wouldnt let me get anything. She was very specific on the plants she wanted lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 8598
My 2 year olds plants. She picked them all out her self. Lowes had them all reduced. I think the most expensive one was 1.00! She wouldnt let me get anything. She was very specific on the plants she wanted lol

Great start letting her talk ownership like that, it'll lead to responsibility and satisfation.

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! She loves anything outside! She feeds the chickens a ducks. She loves to do things instesd of people doing them for her

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not today - but yesterday.

My wife and I picked two grocery bags of red and green bell peppers. We gave 1 bag away to my brother in-law and his wife who we're in for a vists from up North.

Then I weeded, cut the lower leaves off and hoed a circle trench around all of my two rows of cabbage plants. I then fertilized each cabbage plant with a nice ring of ammonia nitrate in the trench and filled the circle trenches backup with soil using a rake. I then watered them in real will with the garden hose. It was 90 degrees plus yesterday and I was a drenched in sweat when I was done.

Its hot and sunny again today, cabbage dont like heat much. But i have 33 cabbage plants set out in two 50' rows spaced 3' apart so hopefully some will head and I'll have some sweet fall cabbage come mid November for kraut, cabbage soup to can and cabbage rolls to freeze. Fall cabbage is the best cabbage, it seems to sweeten up in cooler weather and after a couple of good frosts.

Cabbage by far is my favorite veggie, so many things you can do with it and I really like the flavor.
IMG_20181007_121733455.jpg

Last edited: