frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I started cleaning up some of the big tubs I have in the garden. I had tomatoes in them in the spring. I started pulling the dead stuff out of them and GRRRRRR there were rats in the bottom of some of them. Called Gracie and she swiftly dispatched at least FIVE rats....sigh. Now I'm worried about planting in those tubs... GROSS! Do rats pee and poop in their bedding spots?

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter looking good!! Never been a bige cabbage fan, but the hubs likes it.

@frustratedearthmother EWWW!! im pretty sure the little rodents pee and poop ANYWHERE qnd EVERYWHERE!! I would definitely be bleacing those babies!!

As soon as the Hubby is done working hopefully will be tackling my garden area.....Hopefully by the end of the day(ypu never know with the hubby) all these down trees wilk be cleared and the garden area will be marked off.(you cant tell but there are like 10 trees pulled down around there)
20181007_110842.jpg

Once it gets all clear we can see what else we need to pull down for more sun.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My garden has been so-so this year. The tomatoes, they are finally turning red, but it's getting frosty overnight, so I don't think they'll ripen on the plants as I hoped they would. The carrots are just WEIRD. Heaven only knows what happened there. The potatoes were good, the swiss chard was good, the zucchini did well, the pumpkin, when I finally got it growing, got killed by frost :( The pepper took so long to get going, I doubt it will do anything before frost gets it as well. The corn did o.k. The watermelon and cucumber took too long to get going and got frosted as well.

@CrealCritter those cabbages look good. I'm not a fan, except in coleslaw. Blame my parents when I grew up for putting me off it. They didn't cook cabbage, they committed cabbage.

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My garden has been so-so this year.
Sounds way better then my Non existent garden. We had to prep for a client yesterday so we didnt get to do anything pn the location. And now we have a hurricane headed right at us so it will be on hold....again....for a while!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds way better then my Non existent garden. We had to prep for a client yesterday so we didnt get to do anything pn the location. And now we have a hurricane headed right at us so it will be on hold....again....for a while!
You guys are getting hammered by the hurricanes. Apart from the damage and hassle, they can be a nuisance when you're planning or working on outside projects, gardens, etc. I'm finding it difficult at times to work around the unpredictable weather here and new (to me) storms, snow, fierce winds and the odd hurricane lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think fall has started. We cut the heat on this morning. Woke up this morning and the house was 59 degrees. This is the first year I remember in a long time we cut the heat in before Halloween.

The leaves on the trees are still green but I know that can change pretty quick. Hoping for a indian summer before winter sets in brrrr.
Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-34-02.png

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to permanently bring in the lemongrass and lemon verbena last week because of daytime temps. Before that I could just bring in for the night to keep out of the frost. Neither do well with highs of 50s and rain.