tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We took a day OFF from the yard/garden. Sorta! We went fishing, had a great time. But DH (the eager fisherman) wanted to rush home to work on the yard. He's harvesting mulch a.k.a. mowing the grass. :gig I sat down to check my garden to-do list and suddenly I'm on this forum and 30 minutes has passed. :gig oops!

Edited to add:
I complained to DH about his free-range chickens and trying to plant sunflower seeds. Last time he said to feed the chickens something else to distract them. Didn't work. This time he said to overwhelm them so they can't eat it all. I broadcast sowed 7# of sunflower seeds and 5# of cheap birdseed in about 150 sq ft. Less than that, really, because I was only throwing seed down on the bare spots between grass - and there's a lot of grass there. I am not feeling remotely hopeful about getting sunflowers to grow. :barnie But hey, I finished something on my list!:woot

Also planted lettuce and spinach in my strawberry garden.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Transplanted some marigolds out of the garden and into flower beds around the front porch, planted the sweet onions, and planted those three little asparagus plants. So easy to plant after the soaking rains we've been having...everything is sopping wet and easy to dig into.

Sure hope these sweet onions actually make this year....I have high hopes!
cheerleader.gif

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I finished planting all of the excess flower and herb seed I've accumulated in the last decade. I'm out of space too!

I transplanted some stray irises. Was hard digging! I only got 4 done!

DH mowed and mulched more garden with grass clippings.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I mulched until I ran out of feed sacks. Then I just did a little weeding. Picked another big ol' zucchini, another yellow squash and a whole handful of green beans! WooHoo!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had planted Kentucky Wonders and Kentucky Blues and the Blues didn't come up so I planted some dried red beans where the Blues were planted. We'll see what happens. I really want enough green beans for canning. I may plant a few pintos because they make a tasty green bean. You do have to string them though.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted beans. Hoped to plant more but my husband is slooooow! Maybe we'll get a bit more done after dinner.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I didn't do anything today, but remembered that I peed next to a recently transplanted rhubarb yesterday....can't beat urine as a fertilizer and that little plant could sure use the nitrogen. :D

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Eliminated (without herbicide, of course) a fair amount of invading buttercup.

Did some rototilling in our larger garden.

Then transplanted some youngish raspberry plants into our raspberry rows. We've got two types of raspberry plants: some old stock that has inferior genetics for both cane strength and yield, and a newer (to us) stock that is better in both respects. The old stock is now nearly completely replaced in our rows, and that's what I was doing a bit of finishing up on.

Next, I prepared the carrot-row area and planted carrots.

By this time, the sun was out very strong. So I did soil testing for the greenhouse, taking the testing kit into the shade. Gotta beef-up the phosphorous in those beds. Last time we did that, I used some fish-bone meal. If the price is still good at the feed store, I'll use it again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Then transplanted some youngish raspberry plants into our raspberry rows
I've never been successful with raspberries... Don't guess they grow this far south?

Found more feed sacks and have almost the whole garden done. Not that I want more work to do - but I wish I had a bigger garden this year. I'm still looking around for places to stick a seed or 20. And, I need to get the comfrey roots that I ordered and get them in some pots. Then I swear I'm not doing anything else today! (for at least an hour)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom bought me marigolds! Yes! Planted in the main garden. Didn't plant more seeds though, working on expanding the goat pen instead. Another 2 hours before dark though so... Who knows??