CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I crowd my rows closer. I like your wider spacing. But, I tend to crowd things to get more bang for the buck with my garden footprint. Does make it more difficult to move around. I tend to plant in "blocks" and beds.

Potatoes are planted 8 - 12" apart, with 2 rows 14" apart, then a 32" path, followed by 2 more rows. This allows me to get down the center between the 2 groups for bug control, mulching and early harvest.

When I do corn and potatoes together, I do the 2 + 2 (row) method, alternating potatoes and corn. Or sometimes 2 corn, 1 potato, 2 corn... Those 2 plants make fantastic garden buddies!

If you have abundant space, that certainly makes it easier to allow more space between rows. I envy these folks who can put their garden in the middle of a huge block of land... not at all encumbered by space restrictions.

Forgot to mention squashes and melons are spaced in rows 4' apart. Like tomatoes.

In a good year even spacing rows this far apart it gets very crowed and difficult to walk between the rows. This year is not a good garden year. Way to much rain.
IMG_20180813_175004028.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went out to feed chickens and just peek into the garden. 2 1/2 hours later, I finally came in for breakfast. Did some much needed weeding in the asparagus bed. The tiny little plants are slowly sending up fronds, most of them thinner than a strand of spaghetti. So, pulling weeds around them w/o pulling the fronds is a tedious undertaking. Today, I did not destroy a single frond. Though in past weeding sessions, I have pulled those tiny things.

First zucchini/yellow squash blossom (male) has bloomed. Beans are blooming.

Oh, what a glorious time of the year!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, I pulled up most of my tomato plants and the last of my squash. It was just to dry for them. But, I also picked our first watermelon of the season. I don't know how they grew so big with as little rain as we have had but this watermelon was massive! I have 5 more in the garden, but not as big. Not bad from just one plant!!! I'm definitely saving seeds for next year.
This watermelon was shared with 4 more families, and we still have plenty. I love how God provides for all of us here in this little valley!
IMG_20190824_151941048.jpg
IMG_20190824_152009203.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is a massive melon! My cucurbits are not gonna provide for me this year. My mantra: Just wait till next year!!! I love hearing how you and your neighbors work the neighborhood thing!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spent the day grubbing around in the yard, clearing the E-net fence line, re-setting it, and getting it powered up. I have area inside and outside the back ready to be seeded with white clover. I'm gonna let the flock work around the back side for a few days, then block them from that area and sow the clover.

Hubby is catching my vision for clearing this area. He mowed all around the old coop, and even mowed the sheet compost garden which was not planted this year... so grew up to some pretty impressive weeds! Then, he spent some time helping me move big rocks into position to make a little flower bed behind the run. It's in an out of the way spot, not even part of the yard. BUT, it can be seen from the house, and... every time I glance through the chicken run to the back side and see that pop of flower power, it will bring a smile to my face. Just for you, @Beekissed , I think I need to plant some bright zinnias there!

There is one massive tree trunk in that area. It will require some chain saw work to get it whittled down so the lawn mower can get through that area. Will be well worth it, in the end.