flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
due to more heavy rains and me needing a mental health day i didn't get much done outside yesterday or the day before or even today for that matter... but i did manage to finish up hauling some pea gravel and got the pathway somewhat cleaned up so i can remove the weed barrier fabric that is there. once i get the last part of a drain tube moved and some more pea gravel moved then i'll be done with the destruction phase and can then get back to putting the garden back together so it will be ready for planting.

i really need to plant the lima beans like a week ago so first thing i will do is plant a garden tomorrow after i move a large rotting piece of wood that might have a black carpenter ant nest in it which is too close to the house. that should be fun... once i get the garden planted i can return to fixing the mess i've been up to for way too long (since last fall).

so i'm sort of cheating here, because i haven't quite done this stuff yet, but i feel so guilty for not doing much today i'm daydreaming at the keyboard. :) :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my friends at work Jeanie and I were doing a little water cooler talking. I asked her if she had plans for the weekend, something outside hopefully?

She yes, I'm going to be playing in the dirt. I said, a garden? She said, well kind of... The two shelter dogs I adopted. One does not approve of where I placed my flowers, the other decided to do his own landscaping and both think I planted them a salad bar. They are eating my tomatoes.

I busted out laughing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found some reviews on the tomatoes from some who raised both and while both felt the taste was so similar, either would be used, the Black Krim didn't seem to split as often as the Purple Cherokee. Hmmm. Maturity and heavy yields for both, reported.

I'm going to try 2 or 3 different paste type this year. Want big taste and a meaty type -- don't want to spend time cooking down water. Who has the best?

Now many here plant several varieties of same veggies. If you have a reason to prefer one over another, tell us. It's still early and we can learn while we wait. I'll do a Fall garden, too.

I like a bush green bean for more immediate use but, KY Wonder Pole for canning. Personally, I feel it holds up to canning better with a fresh cooked texture when eaten. Frozen green beans always seem dried up after a couple months. BUT I have never frozen in the vac seal. So will try & see.

Any other tips, reviews or suggestions out there?

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the slicer and beef-eater tomatoes have a lot more flavor than the paste tomatoes, but agree that they have too much water to cook down. I slice them and put them in the dehydrator to get rid of a lot of the water for me . The flavor seems to concentrate and they don't have to be completely dry when you add them to the pot with the plum tomato's to heat for canning. They add so much flavor and depending on how dry you get them, they will help to thicken even roma's. Any extra can be dried completley, crumbled and stored in an airtight container for later use - as crunchy bits on a salad or to thicken a stew.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like that, Wyo. Also, if frozen, then thawed before cooking, a lot of the excess moisture can be just "poured off". Even heating, cooling and setting can help with this. Just hate to throw the nutrition out with the water. One paste I will buy says it taste good enough to use for standard eating. Well, in winters I often buy a paste as it does have taste -- more than slicers -- that we get from hothouse. Only fresh grown is "the best" :D My cherry are there for me to eat while out there!

I got the last of the "ready" started plants in the garden yesterday. Moved some of my pole beans between the rows to "fill in" where some didn't sprout. Then, replanted one line with fresh beans of same kind. Had them already here.

Rowed more and planted more. I swear, this is a huge place I had visions of using....someone smack me!!...and I KNOW it grows at night, as I sleep it enlarges! I am pulling packs of ALL vineing types If I plant those they can run all over, cover the ground and I will feel less "need" to plant more when out there. :lol:

Actually all plants are emerging but, at this point look so small & so much ground showing. I have seed, just -- well, wow. The warmer weather people are so far ahead...one day I'll be there!

Like many of us, with the crap that's going on, I feel compelled to have this year's garden be exceptional. Things are not going to improve economically, or agriculturally, for a long time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am planting Kentucky Wonder pole beans for canning this year. I never planted them before. I pulled beets a couple days ago, my patch of cool weather stuff is done. Monday I’ll be pulling up weeds and spent English peas to make a place for purple hull peas. Going to be hot this coming week, I’ll have to get an early start.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am planting Kentucky Wonder pole beans for canning this year. I never planted them before. I pulled beets a couple days ago, my patch of cool weather stuff is done. Monday I’ll be pulling up weeds and spent English peas to make a place for purple hull peas. Going to be hot this coming week, I’ll have to get an early start.

I have alot of beets that aren't ready yet. kinda frustrating. I think I'll plant more in the fall.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Came home from work thinking I'd get some seed out....even with the ominous black clouds. Surely they'd move on for me. NOPE a downpour. Short and heavy. Still sprinkling, can see it in the puddles by the driveway. Garden is fine, as in no puddles LOL. Maybe later some will find their way out. Probably not until morning. :old