What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planted the last bean garden inside the fence so tomorrow i'll hope to get going on the last bean garden to plant outside the fence. it may take a few days to get it weeded and planted with this heat i'm only going to be able to get a little work on it done each day. i'll have to water and that takes time.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far I have not seen any critter inside the garden area. However, I saw the back of some rat, my guess, going inside a hole by the super raised herb box. I tried to get it with a shovel but I am pretty sure that I missed.
How do you know when the lettuce is ready?
I also have to set the frames for the beans. Only have black beans. Will try to find some red beans too. I only know to germinate them on cotton,lol I know, like a third grader back at home!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far I have not seen any critter inside the garden area. However, I saw the back of some rat, my guess, going inside a hole by the super raised herb box. I tried to get it with a shovel but I am pretty sure that I missed.
I also have to set the frames for the beans. Only have black beans. Will try to find some red beans too. I only know to germinate them on cotton,lol I know, like a third grader back at home!

i've just been planting directly into the ground for many years. this year is the first time i've planted a few seeds in some gallon pots because i'll need to baby these plants during the hot part of the summer. i don't think they like the hot weather so i'm trying to see if i can get them have some decent beans on them by bringing them into the AC when it gets too hot outside. today will be one of those days so they'll come in.

if you come up with a list of beans you'd like for next season send me a PM this winter and i'll mail you some. wish you were closer you could just come get them. i have a few hundred beans here.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have head lettuce or leaf?

I don't do head because I am too impatient. I pick my leaf lettuce when they are around 3 inches onto about 5 tops, but again depends on variety.

Edited-sorry for the typo was on my phone-laptop much better. AND maybe I do lick it!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chipmunks are awful in my garden this year. No cucumbers for me, I guess? It's probably not too late to start them again-again. It's so dang frustrating. I don't like pickles, so I'm not trying very hard with cucumbers. 🤷‍♀️

i've never had chipmunks bother cucumbers here. what they do get into is the crocus bulbs, strawberries and any kind of edible seed that we plant that they can smell, plus they really like the peas when they get those plumped in the pods and also edamame soybeans.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you have head lettuce or leaf?

I don't do head because I am too impatient. I lick my leaf lettuce when they are around 3 inches onto about 5 tops, but again depends on variety.

haha, i'm laughing at the "lick" typo there as i can imagine someone going around and licking the lettuce in the gardens... :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i've never had chipmunks bother cucumbers here. what they do get into is the crocus bulbs, strawberries and any kind of edible seed that we plant that they can smell, plus they really like the peas when they get those plumped in the pods and also edamame soybeans.
I don't know how they didn't get my peas. At least one thing survived.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know how they didn't get my peas. At least one thing survived.

keep an eye on things as the peas get plump in the pods. that was when they cleaned me out last year when i had a nice crop of peas and i wanted to let them dry down in the garden. they hadn't touched them the year before when i grew those same peas so i didn't even think they were in danger. so a week later when i went out to check for fresh pea pods to eat i noticed a few shredded pods and then i looked closer and almost all of the pods were torn apart. i lost about 95% of my peas that i was hoping to be able to share around because they were such good pods to eat fresh.

DSC_20200708_165023-0400_534_Big_Pod_Peas_thm.jpg