What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife informed me they are calling for potential frost tomorrow evening. So I guess we'll pick the last of the tomatoes tomorrow.

Cabbage and brussels are coming along nicely. Little frost shouldn't hurt them at all. Leaves are big this year.
IMG_20221007_110359585.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter those cabbages are looking very good. Dang, even your rows are so straight. Mine kind of wabbles,lol

Edited to add:
Hub is gonna go with me to Indiana. Took the snowblower out of trailer, disengaged trailer, shoved snowblower inside my truck. Ready to go as soon as I wake up. At least crock pot is on so food will be ready in the morning. Just warm it up and done once we get back.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife informed me they are calling for potential frost tomorrow evening. So I guess we'll pick the last of the tomatoes tomorrow.

Cabbage and brussels are coming along nicely. Little frost shouldn't hurt them at all. Leaves are big this year.
View attachment 20562

pictures like that make me drool! great job. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked a few tomatoes, just the Amish Paste and Romas. I tried to have better quality control than a cannery my animals love me for less than perfect tomatoes. They say frost tonight maybe. If not I'll pick the regular slicing tomatoes tomorrow. If it frosts then, oh well, I'm only a one man band. After feeding the animals I'm whooped.
IMG_20221008_153400405.jpg

Farm Babe got apple butter in the crock pot. She took a bucket of apple peels and cores out to the cattle they looked like the were eating speggiti, it was a funny sight 😁

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On the gardening front -- our project for providing food to ourselves and family, no matter the work! -- I'm always advocating seed saving and buying as you can. Part is founded in my grandparents who had little choice some 100 yrs ago (yes that long) and partly to preserve non- GMO, lastly to be able to grow food yourself.

I get notices, like all of us, from sites we use. Today came one from My Patriot Supply. Within the article there was this ...

Buying food manufacturing plants in the United States: Multiple Chinese-based companies have aquired food companies in the United States. Ag Web Farm Journal reports, “In 2013, Shuanghui International purchased U.S.-based Smithfield Foods. (At the time of sale, Smithfield had 25 U.S. plants, 460 farms, and contracts with 2,100 producers in 12 states.) In 2014, China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Corporation’s (COFCO) bought two major agricultural trading companies, Noble Agri and Nidera. In 2017, ChemChina paid almost $46 billion for acquisition of Syngenta, giving the CCP aboveboard access to transgenic seeds and crop protection products.”

It goes on to say China has over 191,000 acres of USA farmland.

I live very close to main office and start up of Smithfield and there was a LOT of annoyance over this sale!!! However, the real point here is how foreign countries are being allowed to become our providers within our own borders! China has a huge population to feed guys.

It's a reminder to make our farms, or lots, our own supermarket. Meat and produce, eggs and milk. I may not live to see the takeover but, I'm trying to protect what I can. The state of the world is not good. Review your own needs and situation.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sprayed the Brussels and cabbage for loppers. I have at least 1 cabbage in head, seen several more that looked like they are in head. But one on the end of the row was easy to squeeze to tell if the head is hard or not. Guess I may be a little lazy (yep lazy) Stripping that row of tomatoes wore me out (in a good way though 😁)

Heres our two rows of fall peas. I know better in spring, but it was too wet to sow them in time before the heat set in. Now it's too dry to fill in skips (I'm not complaining☝️). Frost shouldn't bother these little marvel peas one little bit.
IMG_20221008_173439337.jpg

And here is our row of spinach, not expecting a huge harvest. Just some for fresh eating and if we have more, farm babe says freeze it. It's 45 day Bloomsdale Long Standing. Some rain would help them.
IMG_20221008_173516918.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, just back from Indiana half hour ago. Left 530am. Hub did the whole driving. He knows how my right knee hurts after long drives. But the funny thing is that coming out of the last gas station,and by the way gas was 50 cents cheaper than in Michigan, I tripped and fell scraping my left knee. Hub and another man helped my up. Hub tried to cover me some but pretty sure he saw my trousers,lol I am ok for now but this is going to hurt tonight and tomorrow for sure :(

20221008_203145.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Frost got the most of the tomatoes and peppers overnight, but some are OK, so it was just a lite frost. I selectively picked a 5 gallon bucket of ripe to turning slicers late this afternoon. Wife tells me, they are saying frost again tonight, so I suspect the tenders will be done after tonight. Time to pull up t-posts, wind up baling twine and mulch up the plants. We had a good tomato and pepper year, even after having to trench plant the tomatoes.