What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today will be watering and weeding again. it's a nicer routine than breaking dry clay clumps. maybe can get a start on a project, we'll see... the end of the driveway where we had the culvert replaced needs all that fixed up again so that's the first thing to get done somehow.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk Broccoli to me smells like plastic burning,lol Yes, I am very weird,lol Root beer to me tastes like a coke with codeine in it, yuck! I get very sick when I smell marihuana, it makes me so sick that I puck right away. Something might be wrong with me,lol

In 2012, I allowed my hub to get me a salad with the condition that he would not order one for him. I prayed and prayed and closed my eyes and he gave me tomato, yuck, then gave me lettuce, double yuck. Cannot stand the smell of pickles or cucumbers either.

I need to be put on a human washer and tumble me all over,lol

However, I cook with "sofrito" which is nothing but onions, garlic, peppers, cilantro, culantro, and oregano. All in a blander or food precesor and I use it in all of my cooking.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug squash I am not sure. I ordered direct from PR and it's taking forever. It is a kind of squash even though we call it pumpkin. I put on most stews, soups and grated it and make a small disc with a bit of flour to create consistency and herbs,the fry them. We do eat a lot of root veggies like yuca (cassava), boniato( Spaniard sweet potatoe) and other that have no clue their terms in English. I wish I could grow them but some you will need a part of the plant and it is illegal to bring that to US.
Melons,never tried them. This weird old lady always stuck to her old ways so hard to have me try many things by now. However, last Saturday, I was tricked into Mexican food. It was good. Just took the pieces of tomatoes and onions out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Grass chokes out my mint plants.

interesting because that doesn't work here we have areas in the remaining lawn (what little is left) where the mints have taken up residence after escaping from whichever garden they were in.

if you keep pulling it out you can remove it, but it does take some patience.

there's at least four different kinds of mints so it smells good when we mow. Mom hates it because she reacts to the smell and doesn't like mint in other things to eat or in teas so i don't know why she planted it to begin with, but there it is. also the ground ivy, aka Creeping Charlie is a mint. pretty hard to get rid of completely, but if you keep after removing the vines and leaves when you see it then it can be eradicated. persistence is the key word with getting rid of mints since they will also come back from dropped seeds so you have to remove any new plants that start up when you see them before the roots can venture off on their vining journies.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny I gave some to friends from a pot that always came back and they all died.
The whole front of my house I planted mint to repel bees and other bugs. I love it. I have no choice for bees in back and hopefully close garden and only at times. I am allergic to bee stings.
It is a very invasive plant just like oregano and lemon-mint, which is what I have around chicken coop.
Hope someone here knows how to permanently remove it. I would go and get it from you,lol love mint everywhere. Here is an old picture of when I started on one side in the front.View attachment 19367
You can have some mint if you would like, but I don't think you'll have problem with yours growing everywhere.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
interesting because that doesn't work here we have areas in the remaining lawn (what little is left) where the mints have taken up residence after escaping from whichever garden they were in.

there's at least four different kinds of mints so it smells good when we mow. Mom hates it because she reacts to the smell and doesn't like mint in other things to eat or in teas so i don't know why she planted it to begin with, but there it is. also the ground ivy, aka Creeping Charlie is a mint. pretty hard to get rid of completely, but if you keep after removing the vines and leaves when you see it then it can be eradicated. persistence is the key word with getting rid of mints since they will also come back from dropped seeds so you have to remove any new plants that start up when you see them before the roots can venture off on their vining journies.
I do love the smell of mint when I walk on it or disturb it. It's not worth having it though. I planted it at our last house, and decided I would never plant it again. However, it was already well established at this house when we moved here.

I love Creeping Charlie and encourage it.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

I planted catmint because it is the only plant that the deer will leave alone. They will not eat it.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@miniat least for some margaritas, lol my friend from church told me about that and when I told her she can come to have margaritas, she said better mojitos because she knows that is what Puertoricans drink. I do not drink. Maybe I should start again,lol

which reminded me of a joke:
You can set apart Hispanics by their drinks. Mexican drink of choice us tequila, Puertoricans drink of choice is Don Q or Bacardi, then you have Cubans. Their drink of choice is "cafecito" where you only get a shot of that. But when they over drink it, they swim directly from Cuba to Florida"

Love my Hispanic people. They can be rude and funny at the same time.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter you just freeze them whole? I haven't ever done it like that before. I usually shred or make soup first.
My wife said freeze them whole, so that's what we did. She rinsed them well and set outside on a table to air dry, bagged them and I put them in the deep freezer.

I've learned not to ask too many questions. She probably has near term use for them?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: