What did you do in your garden today?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife and I just cut 16 cabbage heads loose. She's gonna start on making more soup and cabbage rolls. Amazed at early jersey wakefield for summer cabbage in zone 6b/7. Will most definitely be a regular in our garden now.
View attachment 19416

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Beautiful cabbages.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I still would like to know what's up with this hill of sugar baby water melon. With the long yellow grabber explosive growth. They are last year's, end of season dollar general 4 for a $1.00 seed packs. I sowed one package per hill. I was going to pull the hill but my daughter in law convinced me to leave it and see what happens? IDK... I've never seen anything like it before.
View attachment 19424

hypertendril trait.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope to give away some cabbages today. My wife made the last of the cabbage rolls last night. The house smells so good. She has them cooking all night in crock pots. I had the strangest dreams 😂

She asked me to get a container out of the cabinet for her because her hands were full of "goop". She put the extra cabbage roll filling in it. Then said "this is your dinner tomorrow night, shredded cabbage meat loaf and a baked potato".

I'm not sure if that's an indication that's she's had enough of making up cabbage rolls or just something new to try? I think it's a clue that she's had enough of messing around with cabbage, so I best not bring in any more cabbage for a while.

I kind of understand... I think she's made 96 cabbage rolls and canned at least 5 gallons of cabbage soup, both delicious 😋 so I guess she's burnt out on cabbage, I get it...

saurkraut can use up a lot of cabbage.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good day Everyone!

So fall winter planting... What can be pplanted now for fall and winter?
So many variables to successful fall harvests. A general rule of thumb I use that has been both unsuccessful and successful is to count backwards from the first expected frost date and add 2 to 4 weeks based on the number of days for expected harvest on the seed pack.

But also take into consideration the species's hardiness (tender, semi hardy, hardy). For example Cole family (kale, cabbage, brussel, califlower, broccoli) are hardy so generally speaking they can take a frost maybe even a hard freeze and be ok. Peppers, tomatoes, squash are tender and will usually die when hit with even a light frost. Peas, lettuce are generally are semi hardy can take a frost but not a freeze.

Planning a fall garden is a crap shoot at best. It all depends on the weather. Some years you are rewarded, other years it's a waste of time. Sunlight hours also plays a big factor play it safe and plant in full sun when the sun starts getting lower and heading south for the winter.

Lots of variables to think about. But there's something to be said about bringing fresh garden picked salad to Thanksgiving dinner 😂

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
made good progress on weeding and cleaning up the North Garden this morning. :) hope i can get it done before the weekend but not sure. we'll see. :) will have to water tomorrow morning. we did get some rain the other day but it wasn't really enough to last a few days. so.......

in yesterday's forecast for the next week there were two different chances of rain. those evaporated from the forecast when i checked today. it's being a very dry summer so far. strawberries are burning up, lawn/grass is going dormant. i'm only watering in the mornings now to help deter deer traffic/interest.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a very good deal at that price
Yep... But you gotta ask for it, the cashier open a book and scans the code. Don't know if the codes are the same across RKs or not but here's the yard tags, with sku number bottom right corner.
IMG_20220706_165711887.jpg

IMG_20220706_165632675.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tart cherry picking (from my yard not paid for) now what to make? This is about half. I couldn't reach the way top bc I dont do heights. Lots more probably early next week

There is no :drool in the like options. So I posted it here instead.