What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hang in there @Dreamz ! IT IS hard work to garden!!! Benefits are great when you have a good year. 😊. It takes little to make you happy -- one great tomato! 🤣

If this is first year garden, harder. But everything you get is a positive. Don't feel failure because even best gardeners have troubles. There's always "next year" a gardeners favorite phrase. 🤭
It is my first year. Moved here in November 2020. Summer of 2021 all went towards chickens. Coop, run, winterizing... a real mess as first timer chicken owner. We had when growing up but mom was in charge, not me. I was sent to the best school to make sure I learned the best. All my books were in English except my Spanish books. However, nobody spoke English back at home. So, I learned to think in English first even when my first language was Spanish. Had a rough life like everyone does but I met my Lord again. I always knew about Him but never had a personal relationship until 2009. So, He showed me His creation and fell in love with it. Go to the city because I have to. Love the darkness, the quiet, the different noises of birds,frogs,tractors that are working the land. This fills me. I am content with what I have and sometimes I even give because that He puts in me. Hub is the complete opposite of me in everything which at times it frustrates me to the point that I get on my truck and just drive through my State and get peace looking at farms and lands. Nothing like a country road!
I do not eat vegetables but I feed the chickens and the hub with them . I never had a green thumb but I depend on God's green thumb. All my inside plants die except green onions,lol I guess it's because I only put water when the cup is empty,lol However, I want to learn and be able to work the land and see His glory.

It is a lot of work but I am willing to give it what I have even the little that I have left. Next year will depend on Him. If I see it, I will do. If not, at least I tried. Sorry if I went over. I try to be an open book always. It does not takes away but it does helps me to keep learn and keep my values which nobody can take away from me unless I give them away. You are all teaching me so much so far. I am so honored and blessed to have you all

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. Wish I had been able to do more. I am so old and tired and blind at this gardening stuff,lol You all are amazing!

we all had to start somewhere too. :) it takes time to build up stamina and past injuries (or present ones) do present challenges. finding ways to work around things and being flexible enough, like knowing when to take a break or finding others to help or whatever it takes.

yesterday i was so hoping to have a garden done with being weeded and prepped and planting but by midday my feet were aching and i was done so that was it until later when i went back out and scraped for a few minutes to finish up the last 10 square feet that i'm not going to finish digging. it would have taken me another two or perhaps three hours to get those dug up and gone through (it hasn't rained in a long time so the ground is hard to dig and breaking up those clumps of clay and getting all the quack grass roots out of there takes time). scraping takes about 10 minutes in comparison but then the grass will keep coming back again and then spreads further so it's a certain trade-off between putting the time in now and not having as much work later or knowing i'll be back again to digging it again, but i'm hoping at least by that time my feet will not be injured.

a good hot weather project is also a part of it too in that i need to screen some gravel from the dirt along that edge. but first i need to get this garden planted so i can move on to other projects.

nature is giving me a break this morning with these very much needed and appreciated rains.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes me wonder! Hub got me a burpees bag of seed of "Oregon Sugar Pod II". I have no clue what they are. It also says "pea". I only like the Sweet peas in a can,lol wonder if I can grow them.View attachment 19268

they're really easy to grow. the chipmunks and groundhogs mostly ignore them inside the fence, i've not grown them outside the fence enough to know if the rabbits go after them or not. the best eating of them is when the peas are still just forming to right before they reach max size. very good. the pods are also edible but not as nice as some other pea pods.

i have cooked them up from dry pea stage and they are edible, but not my favorite food. i'd consider it starvation rations. mixed with other things you may not notice or care or perhaps you have different taste buds than i do. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug we are in for real heat tomorrow. Heat index 99,so it will be Michigan hot hot hot!.
I am not going to eat those pods. I would love to be able to grow the ones of the can, but I keep my cans,lol

My tastebuds are unique,lol I don't like a lot of things. I do not eat fish except when I go home or Florida and am a sucker for red snappers. Love seafood but no clams except scallops. No crawfish, but real shrimp and lobster. No Atlantic sea crab or fake crab meat. I like the land crabs from home.
View attachment 19275
A few years back, tried tomatoes and except and almost puke my stomach out,lol
Yeap, I am that weird!

that's too bad about tomatoes because i really love them and wish we could grow many more varieties than we do but Mom is picky. :) yes, i'm ready to be roasted tomorrow. i hope i can get outside early enough to get something done before it gets too hot out there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is because you are from Michigan,lol I am not,lol I love winter.

i love winter too. lived in the UP for 15 years. lived in the LP for most of the rest of my life. i was ok with the heat as far south as the mountains of eastern TN, but that was about it. i considered going over the hills to Asheville, NC but while i did like the area and stayed there for several weeks i ended up in TN instead for a few years.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Came back from the thieves (gas station) and ask for 30 bucks. Figured if anything, I will put the remaining on the truck. But nooooo, it was about 5 gal and spit no more. Not a drop for my truck. Then police everywhere making a jam on the corner all because of the darn drug festival in Rothbury. I fled drugs all my life, left Muskegon because they sell drugs in every square now, and here it is following me. :mad:
So finished the whole acre and tried to cut some limbs but needed more extensions, so took it as a sign to stop for the day. Will need more twine for the peppers but I think I will use weird color yarns and crochet a thick rope and use that. 🤔
I didn't know beans can still be planted. Haven't done a thing with the black ones I have, not even on cotton balls,lol

@flowerbug when I get hot, I get hungry,lol I can use the weight loss too but if it is not one thing, is another. Love doing drumfit but hurt my shoulder and stopped. That gained me 10lbs. Then went to zumba but somehow hurt my knee. So lost 13 and up 6 so far. I need to loose about 50 and should be fine health wise. If it was like going to sleep, I would loose about 100,lol would love to be back at 99 as always. At least I am not in the 200 mark,lol I am rather tall and if I did nobody will notice but 189 is too much for me. I am at 183 now and keep dreaming it is coming off,lol