What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same as all plant hybrids. Start with the right parent types and cross pollinate, then collect the seeds from the correct parent plant. It can get confusing but I still find plant genetics to make more sense than chicken trait genetics.

Some plants are a pain because you have to hand pollinate to get the right seeds.

Watermelons are just a big crop for the farmers in my family over there and have been since my Great Uncles started. Only reason I knew they had to have the seeded for pollination to get actual melons set.
I appreciate your knowledge and wisdom 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So all the goodness in my chicken run (dirt, broken down wood chips, decomposed grass and leaves, and chopped straw), it has been in there almost a year can I add it to my gardens this spring or is it still considered too hot? I will be doing a clean out at the end of March/early April and wondering if it go directly mixed in to the beds or if it needs to cook some more?

I bought seeds starter and dug out the trays of cells ;) starting some tomatoes, squash and melons in about 2 weeks. Cold sowing peas this weekend.

anything with fresh manure on it i would use by mixing it in and topping that area with a layer of fresh dirt. that way any splashes are not getting fresh manure moving around. i don't know about how potent the stuff is since i don't keep chickens so i'd go by what @Mini Horses has said as that makes sense.

when i use fertilizers in my garden (worm compost) i only use it in the gardens where i'll be planting my heaviest feeding plants. the rest of the gardens are rotation planted into soil that has had previous worm compost amendments so there is some residual nutrients and plus whatever is in there from before. so far it seems to be working just fine for the amount of plants and gardens we have.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was refering to what the article I'd read said. It was written well over a century ago.

Of course I have a gardening book from the 40s that highly recommends use of several nasty banned chemicals.
Odd that it would be off on weed seed germination.

But yes.... the chemical comments would be expected.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone use rooting hormone when planting new raspberries, strawberries or similar.

not for those. often they root so easily anyways. are you working with cuttings? strawberry runners may take a bit more to start rooting but i just hold them down in contact with the ground and they take eventually.