What did you do in your garden today?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tilled the garden since its finally dry enough to do.:weee Bad news is the right wheel started coming off and the wire connected to the handle you pull back to make it move got chewed through by a mouse. :rantI temporarely fixed it and it lasted long enough to till the garden once, but will need fixed permanently for future use. And the tire. :barnie

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter those tomato seedlings are amazing! aloe too. you must have a real green thumb.

nothing in the garden today, rain all day long, lots of it, probably about an inch so far. no more snow here but lots of mushy mud

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How are your last frost dates so early? Mine says June 3… maybe I need to look somewhere else lol, I’m zone 4b

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have seen varying frost dates for my area, I just took an average of what I found. I have yet to find two sites that say the same date.

I found this chart which was helpful for me
1648039841979.png

Not sure how accurate it is, but it gave me the best range estimates

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And the bummer part is having to pull up and disregard the females, the ones that produce red berries that are seeds. They produce thin spears that aren't good for eating. That's why I went ahead and sowed 200 in peat starters for a little over 100 foot row.

spread is something that I couldn't gleen good information about doing my research. So if anyone has some solid info on how much Martha Washington Asparagus spreads it would be very useful and help me know how wide to dig the permanent bed.
Space...I think it is going to depend on how much you eat and/or want in a season. I wasn't able to find anything specific to spread for the Martha Washington beyond 'it needs lots of space' and it looks like each crown/plant can get rather large

1648135530014.png

I have a 5x2 bed for us, which is more than enough. We eat it but don't want it for every meal. I do pickle it