What did you do in your garden today?

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a few onions that bulb triggered, keeping them in water is proving to be challenging. But they were just a little black seed this winter when I sowed them in seed trays. So I'm not about to give up the battle. Homemade nitrogen fertilizer worked great 👍

Just a bit of old school gardening I learned long ago, from someone a lot smarter than I am. For plants that need a lot of nitrogen to grow big and strong, like cabbages and onions for example. When weeding don't pull the clover. Clover is a natural nirogen fixation plant. Meaning it produces nitrogen from the air and fixates it in it's roots. Onions are also shallow rooted so as both grow together, clover helps supply some nitrogen to the onion via the onions roots. It's kind of like companion planting but wild instead of purposely placed. Clover doesn't compete very much at all with sunlight or moisture. It's happy with just a little bit of water and being in semi shade. So it's like a win/win

You'll notice clover growing in with my onion pics I posted. it's not because I'm lazy and didn't weed the clover and it's not because I sowed clover either. It just likes to grow in with onions by its own choice. Clover a weed? Sometimes like when growing in with tomatoes but it's most definitely not a weed for onions.
View attachment 19303

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Beautiful ...I can not seem to grow good onions...I've tried..I simply do shallots now

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got on my knee to pick, a minute later I got up FAST! Was on an ant hill,....OUCH 😬😱
Eek! How do YOU treat? The bites? I just finished heavily watering the garden as this will be another 100 degree day... Harvested some mint and placed in nesting areas. Cut a few leaves of kale and will try to finish harvesting the oat patch later this evening...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cabbage and brussels sprouts starts hardening off. Hope to set them out next week, for late fall early winter harvest.
IMG_20220722_174009775~2.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the smallish yellow sweet spanish ones that was ready to be pulled. Use the thin neck ones first because they don't keep as long. I'll most likely pull the ones that the tops have fallen over and browned this evening. Then them out in-between rows to cure. Good time to cure with high temps, breezy and partly sunny 👍
IMG_20220723_124237486.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dirt therapy this morning from 545am to 7am. Then, helped hub with the quackies house. Left to get more wood but made teh mistake of not going all the way to Muskegon Home Depot. I paid triple the price, :eek:

Let the quackies out and they jumped right onto the waddling pad. They looked so cute!

Nothing else. Hub watered this evening. I am getting ready for bed to get up early to fix my hair, collect lettuces, and go to church to see who I can hit with lettuces,lol
Have a pleasant evening everyone!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pulled onions probably about 1/2 of them, to cure in the sun tomorrow. I'll have to turn them over about midday to get a good cure. The others are still growing, necks are still upright and stiff.
IMG_20220723_193927976.jpg

Pulled a few nice big ones that were ready. But they are all good for cooking/canning to me.
IMG_20220723_193938695.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since I braid my onions to hang in strings, I don't pull them until they are quite a bit drier.... not brittle, but want them to grow and then cure as long as they can in the soil and tops fall over and then dry down a good bit before I pull.
Your onions look real nice @CrealCritter .

Think the "broccoli plants" that a neighbor had given me are actually cauliflower and they are not doing much with this heat...they look terrible and there is a bug eating the leaves too..... going to direct seed some broccoli seed in garden for fall plants....