What did you do to save $ today?

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have a bakery outlet in your area, check that out.

Huge savings on bread! And my local one has really good sales on at times and "specials," where, if you spend over a certain amount (something like $7.00 - I think it varies), you can pick something off a certain rack of items for free. Things like hamburger buns are usually half the cost of grocery stores - and they have a greater variety (I think) than the stores, often having restaurant style specialty buns.

With just myself and one kid here now, we don't go through much bread but I still try to buy from the outlet. Occasionally I'll find myself in the grocery store, remembering that I need a loaf of bread, and rather than making a special trip to to the bread store, will pick up a loaf at the grocery store. I always choke at the price compared to what I typically pay at the outlet.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Cinebar said:
With just myself and one kid here now, we don't go through much bread but I still try to buy from the outlet.
Bread freezes beautifully, y'know.
I know. But my freezer is full. No room. :)

It's a small ( 7 c.f., I think) chest freezer, and after Christmas, I'm going to look for a bigger one.

I'm trying to freeze some milk, too, so that when I dry up the doe for a couple of months I'll still have milk for my morning oatmeal and for cooking and that's proving to be a bit of a challenge, too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We got our chest freezer for $60 at an auction. :) It's empty and unplugged, but my fiance just shot that doe, so I'm happy to start it up so I can stock up on other stuff!

It may not work because your freezer is alread packed, but what I've found to be the most efficient way to freeze milk is to put it in a bag, get the air out of the bag and lay it flat to freeze. After they are frozen, stand them up. It takes up less space than jugs or jars, and it's so much faster to thaw out.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tortoise said:
It may not work because your freezer is alread packed, but what I've found to be the most efficient way to freeze milk is to put it in a bag, get the air out of the bag and lay it flat to freeze. After they are frozen, stand them up. It takes up less space than jugs or jars, and it's so much faster to thaw out.
Ooooh....that is a good idea. I've been freezing it in quart jars. Frozen in bags, it would also fit better in the freezer on top of the refrigerator.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Scored a water bucket heater from my brother and a heat tape from my future-father-in-law! I need to buy some insulation at some point here and see if I can get a heated water system to function for the rabbits. My fiance says the nipples/valves will freeze up. From what the sales man was saying, I don't think they will. At least, I'm in denial, lol.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Bought some levis on ebay for DH and was able to sign up for the paypal service, pay me later and they gave me $10 off my purchase!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just learned to make mittens out of fleece from a free online pattern and I also found the really good Cloroseptic throat drops( the kind that numb your mouth and throat) at the dollar store--bought 3 packs for the price of one in the grocery store.

Also--everybody just has to learn how to make bread--way cheaper than buying it! ;):D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Scored BIGTIME at an auction!

My fiance brought home a HE washer and dryer (Kenmore Elite) for only $400. It will save so much on electricity to run the well pump in addition to the "regular" HE washer/dryer efficiency.

Now.... to figure out how to use homemade detergent in an HE machine. I *think* it will be fine to use 1/4 of the amount. Which makes my detergent go even further. (Sweet!)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great deal on the washer/dryer! For homemade detergent, I use about 2 tablespoons, and just throw it in with the dirty clothes (instead of using the dispenser). It seems to work best that way for dry homemade detergent.