What do you do to cut expenses down?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom doesn't want to make any changes here

How old is your mom?

In many different threads you have mentioned things she "doesn't" want, do, prefer, allow, eat -- etc. So just wondering about her. It appears you have "retired" and live in her house -- with some limitations. LOL

Emotionally, mentally and physically things change as we age. I'm certain you are aware. Because I continue to work and am very active, I feel that I am flexible with some areas and not so in others. Namely, don't mess with MY farm without asking. If she "uses" the land in any way I could see this being an issue. If she just lets it sit and you could grow a nice garden, it seems more productive and she would appreciate it. Just wondering.

As to some of the issues -- solar, permaculture, etc. I can see where she may be concerned about the "look and outcome" of a project given the consideration for some professional installation or a "this may work" set up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Biggest score in awhile was the chainsaw. We have an AMEX gold and we use it as often as we can. You are awarded points based on the amount you put on the card. We often use the points to purchase Christmas gift and I did so with several gifts this past Christmas. But, when we were looking for a chainsaw a week or so go we noticed the one we favored on Amazon. Amazon and AMEX must have a partnership of some kind because we were able to use AMEX points to cover the entire purchase amount of the chainsaw. ($400 +) That is a big budget stretcher!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My B-I-L uses a netti-pot after being outside, usually when he comes in for lunch, before supper and right before bed. It really seems to help him a lot. He will still have some minor stuffiness, but not as congested, sneezing and stuffy as he usually was.

ask him if he washes his face and rinses his eyes. might help even more. :) also if not wearing a hat to remember to wipe down the hair with a damp cloth so you're not spreading pollen onto your pillows.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I normally prefer to go to the Catholic Community Center and get all my clothes for $0.50 each but the storm destroyed that too. But it’s great if you working with a small child who isn’t yet particular and you can create something useful. My best friend once asked me to cut her big son’s pants into shorts and put a hem so he could still use it for school and I used the legs to make one of my younger daughters a pair of kakki pants.
I am looking forward to seeing the kids in March.