What do you WANT to learn to do?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I want to learn to turn a piece of chicken into steak, and I'd like to be a neurosurgeon too. Of course, IF i were a neurosurgeon I guess I could feasibly afford the whole cow, right?
Kill one of your Muscovies, its just like beef......... they are good.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd love to learn to surf!!! :love
I'd also like to learn how to fix my own truck, how to speak Spanish, French and Swahili, and how to build a ram pump.
Way fun.

I want to learn to spin my own wool from my own sheep.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As far as SS, I'm debating on taking the Master Gardener course offered here. I would really like to improve my gardening skills.

For fun, I would also enjoy taking some advanced cooking classes, a creative writing class, and I would love to learn Italian. Ciao!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I forgot about the popcan heater...I am soooooooo about to do that in the next couple weeks :D I have a solar panel, and some pallets to rip up and use for the framework :woot

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well on my list:

learn to spin wool - im in process with this one, a frined sent me some lovely alpaca roving and i bought a drop spindle, now ive got the motion down its alot of fun, just got to figure out the next steps now lol. once i master top whorl drop spindle ill try bottom and once im happy with that ill progress to a wheel

learn to process my own wool - i plan to have a couple shetland sheep and alpaca geldings on my farm, odly i know how to shere a sheep, but i have not yet learnt how ot take the raw fleece and turn it into roving.

Cheese making - i know how in words, but the physical action lol...

Soap making - again i know how...ive just never put it into physical action, and by that i mean anything beyond melt and pour methods. i want to do my own hot and cold processed milk soaps and lotions to hopefully help support my homestead.

Processing larger animals - ive done up to turkey sized, but eventually i want to learn how ot properly proces pig, cow and lamb since ill hopefully have all 3 of those available for yummy meat too.

id LOVE to learn how to crochett, knit (i can loom knit but cant knit with needles) and id lOvE to learn tattling to make my own lace :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I want to learn how to weld. I know the basics and can do some minor Tig if someone else just hands me the torch. But I want to learn how the machines operate and how to set up everthing with Mig, Tig and Arc.

This is more of a FIGURE out how to - hook all the attachments to the tractor without help. I know how its done but I don't have the strength to manhandle everything without help. Especially that darn PTO when hooking up the bushhog.

And even though its listed last its something I am working on really hard now - I really want to learn better carpentry skills. (tired of having to cut those miters 2 times).:rolleyes:

Beekissed - Swahili? I think my 3 year old granddaughter speaks that sometimes. Maybe I can get her to teach you.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd like to learn to tan and preserve animals hides.

And how to use a tool other than a hammer and screwdriver.

I would also like to learn how cars work, so I could do more of my own mechanic stuff. I know how to change the oil and change a flat tire, but that's about it. Good thing I have hubby around. :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I agree, more mechanical stuff.

Making soap...still gathering supplies and gathering courage to try...

Making cheeses

getting better at quilting and sewing but would love to learn some new techniques

still learning about the bees....gotta learn how to extract and process my honey next year

would love to raise and process a pig someday

still don't know how to can....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pima said:
Hi...brand new posting here, but have been reading for a while. I would really like to learn to weld. Not sure why, just one of those things I have always wanted to know how to do. :D
Welcome to the forum! :frow Take a moment and introduce yourself over at the 'where am I' part on the index, k?

I had high hopes that we were going to start a passive solar heat grabber this weekend, but it looks like life has other things in store for us. *sigh* Anyway, for those of you who are doing them, consider putting some wheels on the bottom and a handle at the top. Then you can move it easier when it's time to store it.

http://builditsolar.com has bunches of plans, too. I was surprised to read that the double layer of black metal window screen performed better in the tests they ran. They were surprised, too. Sure would be faster to use them instead of the cans, huh.

Anyway, I thought I wanted to learn how to tan hides...but actually I think I'd rather just be given a tanned hide.

I'd also like to learn how to weld. And learn how to use a cutting torch. Then make some fun and funky arbors and garden art stuff.