What do you WANT to learn to do?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd like to learn how to throw clay and make pots - or whatever else I want, build a kiln, how to hunt wild game, how to make cheese, how to can and dehydrate food, repair and maintain engines, butcher, become a better sewer, build a stove outside (as in the kind made of clay you traditionally cook bread in outside), basic construction, make lotion, weave baskets (with one hand - HA!), and a ton of other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to learn to make soap, candles, baskets and rugs.... lol... I know it's a lot but gotta keep wishing...;)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tanning hides, process critters from field to freezer (not sure why I've been dragging my feet on this one since DH hunts & we've processed his deer, just not elk. Those are too big so we have them done), cheese & soap making, and if we had acreage....livestock husbandry.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd like to learn to sew, i bought a sewing machine cheap but it's been sitting in my shed for almost a year now, lol.

i'd also like to successfully bake bread, i have a book, i just haven't tried yet.

Popsgumdrop

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There are sooooo many things I'd like to learn. Problem is finding the time. I think once winter sets in I will have a lot more time because they are mostly inside things. I have been concentrating on gardening since spring. This has been a learning process for me and has been taking up most of my free time. So here is a short list of other things I want to learn:

Sewing: I bought a sewing machine probably a year ago and the only thing I have ever sewn is a pin cushion. that's just sad.

canning/preserving: this is something I have recently started. The only thing I have done so far is fig preserves, so I have a lot to learn there. The garden is really full of beans and peas though, so that will give me a bunch of canning to do in the fall.

soap making: I'd like to eventually like to learn to make many of the soap related items such as shampoo, lotions, scrubs, bath bombs, liquid soaps, dish and laundry soaps. That list could go on for ever.

carpentry: I'd like to be able to build my own stuff. I don't really care about being a master carpenter, but if I could just get better at hammering I'd be thrilled. It would be nice to be able to build a dog house or if we ever get the land for it I'd like to be able to build the housing for any animals we decide to add to the place. Being able to repair the garage or the storage shed we currently have would be great too.

First Aid: this is more of a refresher. I had first aid in high school but that's been....um.....a while now.

More gardening: I am pretty new to gardening so I have a lot to learn. I will spend part of this winter doing more researching on gardening and planning my spring planting.

There's probably a ton more, but these are the things I want to learn next.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Want to learn so many things, I can't remember them all, but tops on my list right now:

Soap making. Have everything I need (WANT a stick blender, but haven't got it yet). Every time I work up my nerve to try, at least three people make me panic about 'the dangers' and I lose my nerve. Think I need to read more on this forum, say NOTHING about my plans , and do it.

Cheese making. Again, I have all the stuff I need, except raw milk ( I really should just try with store bought, but WANT raw), and I have been unable to find anyone even offering shares down here. Once we move north, there are several, so I may have to wait, to get what I want.

Masonry. My DH is a journeyman carpenter and not only does beautiful work, he has taught me quite a bit. He refuses to do masonry though - he's tried it, unsuccessfully, and gave up. I think that, if I could get the hang of it, we could do so much more and do it ourselves.

Weld. Not that I'm totally interested, it's more that I keep being told no. My ex welded for a living, and refused to teach me. DH is practicing for his cert test, but doesn't want to teach me either. I want to take a class, because I hate being told no! :p

Get over my fear of firearms. I would like to find a firearm that I am comfortable shooting that doesn't strike fear in my heart when I hold it, then spend time practicing with it. Not sure where the fear came from, but I would really like to get past it. Despite DH's objections, I feel quite sure firearm will end up being a .22 rifle of some sort.

Lots more but those are my high priorities right now.

edited due to my forgetful nature

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I am going to bite the bullet. I have some pre-cut quilting squares here on hand - a lot of Americana themed stuff and some Winnie the Pooh for baby :) I'm going to break them out tonight or tomorrow (hopefully tonight) and start laying out patterns, playing with it, to see how I want to do it...and hopefully in a couple days I'll have some pics to show ya'll of my first attempt at quilting!

And I encourage all of you to pick ONE thing off your list - and give it a go :D If it's feasible at this time, I mean.

Especially Wannabefree! Once you figure out how to turn chicken into steak, we ALL want that information! :lol:

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to learn how to make cheese. I have all this beautiful milk and I work too hard for it to feed all the extra to the pigs. Some is ok, but not while I'm still buying dairy products at the grocery store!