What do you WANT to learn to do?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love to learn to cook properly. Something I have never learned since I would be out in the woods roaming around while mom cooked :( I am a catastrophy.

Would love to be able to trim my horses feet by myself, learn how to ultrasound the mares (I never see anything that they see), learn to stitch up wounds and how much anesthetics to give.

Welding and how to fix a car would be great.

Woodworking would be awesome. I would love to build my very own barn.

Drive the horses. I did it a while ago but never officially learned it or taught it.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, I am going to bite the bullet. I have some pre-cut quilting squares here on hand - a lot of Americana themed stuff and some Winnie the Pooh for baby :) I'm going to break them out tonight or tomorrow (hopefully tonight) and start laying out patterns, playing with it, to see how I want to do it...and hopefully in a couple days I'll have some pics to show ya'll of my first attempt at quilting!

And I encourage all of you to pick ONE thing off your list - and give it a go :D If it's feasible at this time, I mean.

Especially Wannabefree! Once you figure out how to turn chicken into steak, we ALL want that information! :lol:
Can I make a suggestion? You probably already know this but just in case...
If you are using pre-cut squares, for instance 5 blocks by 6 blocks, you want to sew all the blocks in a row together. Then you would sew all the rows together. It really helps the blocks lay flatter and helps match up the seams. Have Fun!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So much to learn and so little time! I started working on the one thing I wanted to "learn" and that's R.N. But since I'm stressing each semester over a particular course (this semester being microbiology), I thought if I picked something that was supposed to be soothing off my list of "things to learn" I might be able to counteract the hysteria from micro. So, now to pick. I'd love to learn to crochet, quilt, knit. However, my remedy for a button falling off is a stapler, soooo I have a LOT to learn. My issue is not really knowing where to go to learn. Nobody in my family knows how to do any of those (and they live in PA so not really conducive to teaching even if they did know). Books don't seem to explain it well to me so is something I'm going to have figure out at some point (hopefully this winter).

Beyond the "soothing" things, I'd like to learn more about the goats, learn about cattle, pigs and making soap from the goat milk, cheese as well as anything else that I don't even know I can make with goat and/or cow milk. I could go on for hours about all I WANT to learn, but I think the first thing I have to learn is to say "NO" and make time for things I want to learn. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Especially Wannabefree! Once you figure out how to turn chicken into steak, we ALL want that information! :lol:
Well if the scientists can make it out of waste matter in a lab, I should be able to figure something out, right? :lol:

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good thread!

I want to learn more about foraging for food and preserving it. My brother is a bit of a mountain man and forages for mushrooms and wild leeks on occasion, and we've always harvested black berries.

I want to learn to grow more food, for my family and to reduce the amount of commercial feed I need to buy for my chickens.

I also want to learn more about food preservation techniques other than freezing; canning, dehydrating, cold cellars and smoking.

I want to, and will soon, learn to process my own chickens. I am working on a dual purpose flock so we can have eggs and meat without having two separate flocks.

I would love to learn to hunt and fish, both my father and brother do, but it's something I never got into. I did go through hunter safety and loved it, just never wrapped my head around the idea of killing something until I've had to provide for my family.

I would love to learn how to make more hours in the day so I can learn these things and many more while still working full-time to provide for my family. I keep hoping if I learn enough SS skills we will need less $ to buy things, thus making $ less of a needed factor in my life.

I also want to learn these skills so I can give my daughter the tools she needs in life to take care of herself.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
RVVT - I like your signature line.

I would like to learn how to relax. I just can't seem to get a handle on it. I get about 4 to 5 hrs. of sleep at night and I'm up and doing something every minute of the day. Maybe I have senior onset ADHD.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could use some of that. Every time I sit for half an hour, I doze off.....I don't sleep enough at night, ready to get up and at 'em after about 5 hours...then three days later it hits, always during the day. Erg.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beekeeping eventually. Right now I'd like to learn how to get through to the kids to pick up after themselves... :he