What's for dinner tonight?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:gig South TX. I don't think they had that there. :hu Sounds good though! In TX you still get some of that yummy "eastern southern" food but not all of it. More casseroles and Tex-Mex.

My nanny growin up was from New Orleans and she made the best food in the world! I loved her cooking. (Mom thought it was too fattening :( )

(My parents were/are vegetarians and my poor mother is the worst cook in the world! :sick You have to eat out before going over to her house to eat.)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm baking pizza - from scratch. I threw together a quick bread dough and used yesterday's spaghetti sauce with all the sausage and veggies in it, with a little cheese on top. I hope it makes my man happy. :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have laryngitis (sp?) and my throat is really sore, so today I had a banana, blackberries, a kiwi, honey, yogurt and cottage cheese blended into a nice cold, soothing smoothie... not a conventional supper, but delicious :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Its whats after dinner that really counts!
:drool

Koeksisters, - a south african treat, thats like a deep fried donut, dipped in a ginger/cinnamon syrup!

Koeksisters.jpg

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Dace said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
eggplant? we dont get eggplant out here.....drat! love it baked
:)

so we were suckered in by Rachael again - having the spicy peanut chicken she made today on her show.
:)
I am always pleasantly surprised that her food is usually pretty healthy.
seriously - it was so good! check it out:
http://rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/make-your-own-take-out-spicy-peanut-chicken/

easy and fun. stir fry chix and peppers, make sauce. boom. you're done. love it!

i had extra sauce so i made some whole wheat pasta and now have peanut-y noodles for tomorrow. rock on.

the only thing i dont like about Rach is that she is missing a HUGE opp to teach people about whole wheat pasta.. i think she has changed her tune a bit but i never eat white pasta/rice anymore.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Tortoise--Sounds wonderful! I'm getting a yen for pizza, too. Just need some really great sausage first.

hwillm--I think I will add my aging kiwi to tomorrow's breakfast smoothie. Thanks for the idea!

Wildsky--Not fair! Those look so incredible that I want to brew a cup of black tea and take a chomp out of my screen! I would ask for the recipe, but I don't think I better know how to make those. Beautiful! Did you make them?

Tonight's potpie was a hit. Tomorrow Swiss chard and kale quiche.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Doing the eggplant, bell pepper and sweet pepper recipe again with a little twist.

Preparing 2 eggplants by cutting them into large cubes, salting them liberally on both sides and letting them drain on a rack. (Thanks Dace ;) ) Then I'm going to rinse them and pat them dry.

I found a container of "sweet peppers" in yellow, orange and red. I'm chopping them all up.

2 red bell peppers chopped (you can use any color)

1 med onion chopped

3 cloves of garlic minced

Roasting them in a 400 degree oven (I did 350 before and it was not hot enough)

Salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste

This time I'm adding crumbled cooked hot Italian sausage and parm cheese to the finished product. :drool

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Tonight it is Waldorf chicken salad on top of a big bed of dark greens... :drool

I got a natural, free-range chicken at QFC for a reasonable price, almost the same price as a regular chicken.

I can't wait!!!

WALDORF CHICKEN SALAD

1 (2 1/2 lb.) roasted chicken, cut bite size
1 lg. Granny Smith apple, cut bite size
2 celery stalks, cut diagonally
1 sm. green pepper, diced
1/2 sm. onion, diced
1 c. seedless red grapes, halved (I'm using green)
1/2 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 c. dark seedless raisins (might skip)
2/3 c. orange juice
1/2 c. plain yogurt (I'm using kefir*)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

To chicken, add apple, celery, pepper, onion, grapes and walnuts. With fork, beat orange juice, yogurt, salt and nutmeg. Blend. Pour over chicken mixture. Toss and mix. Place on top of thinly sliced lettuce. Sprinkle with more walnuts. Serves 4.

ETA: * The dressing made with o.j., kefir, nutmeg and sea salt would make a yummy drink!!! :p I'm having some right now!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Last night was big ol' juicy grilled T-bones....with roasted beets (not a favorite) roasted cauliflower & brussel sprouts and sauted beet greens (a first).

Not sure about tonight, but I am already hungry.

What is everyone else having??