What's for dinner tonight?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
:gig

My work here is done......
:D

And tonight I sit here too stuffed from those dang afternoon veggies to eat my yummy dinner...prolly better off! ;)

Yep, you are working your magic around here. :thumbsup

Dinner by the way was a blend of a couple different lentil soup recipes...starting with sauteed onion, carrot & celery, garlic & fresh ginger, lentils, chick stock, crushed tomatoes, 2 cups chopped swiss chard, garam masala, corriander, cumin, sea salt and a hint of curry....served with roasted butternut squash cubes and saffron spiced yogurt.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tonight will be pumpkin, (split with chickens), coconut milk and mixed hot pepper, garlic soup. Also made a corned beef soup with barley from stuff in the freezer for a little more time than I wanted.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
for us, it's a roast in the crockpot, with carrots, onions and celery. I may put in a potato 'cause the family will DIE if there aren't potatoes in the roast.

and a big ol' salad, just cause

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Potatoes are not evil....but will spike one's blood sugar and switch the body into fat storage mode. Enjoy a few bites, then load up on the carrots and celery and some fatty meat...yummy! Crockpots were a great invention!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Natural foods are not evil.

It is what we do to them.

Potatoes are fine in moderation.....it is adding the "loaded potatoe" onto the plate that is not great..LOL

I say eat nature.

You do that without the added extras (or not too many) and you can't be wrong ever!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One of the big problems today is the modern idea of serving size. Have you seen the size of a russet in a restaurant? Enough to feed a family of four! Actually, adding fat will lower the glycemic index a bit and actually helps reduce the weight gain effects. But I am talking about moderation, a serving is a half cup. Not 4 cups! :rolleyes: The bigger problem I have with non-organic or non-homegrown taters is the serious chemical dump that goes into growing and harvesting them. I grew up in potato country so I saw it firsthand. Yikes.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The bigger problem I have with non-organic or non-homegrown taters is the serious chemical dump that goes into growing and harvesting them. I grew up in potato country so I saw it firsthand. Yikes.
Yeah--I had my eyes opened--wide open--after reading a Michael Pollan narrative on how potatoes are grown. Yikes! I never got too excited about buying organic potatoes--we just don't use that many--until I read that. In his book, one of the potato growers grew his own organic patch at home since there was no way he would eat the ones he grew commercially. Potato growing is also horrific for the environment, since they're grown on sandy soils and get either fertilizer or pesticides sprayed on them about every 10 days, a lot leaching right through that sandy soil. :smack

This year for our CSA garden I planted 80 lbs and they absolutely thrived. Organic, of course. So, we have been eating more potatoes than ever. I just don't get into the "potatoes are evil" thing, but we try to have a lot of variety so we naturally don't eat them nonstop.

Tonight I'm hoping to make 4-bean casserole, which is basically bbq beans, venison and bacon, over a bed of smashed potatoes (skins on) and either steamed broccoli or a big ol' spinach and lettuce salad, still fresh from the garden.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Tonight I'm hoping to make 4-bean casserole, which is basically bbq beans, venison and bacon, over a bed of smashed potatoes (skins on) and either steamed broccoli or a big ol' spinach and lettuce salad, still fresh from the garden.
oh, that sounds so yummy. see this is why I started this thread. ya'll have given me ideas I wouldda never thought of.

there was a link to a thread here about how to grow potatoes in a wire cage thing. I thought that would be great since I have plenty of room to have an amazing garden, I just don't know where to begin.