what's next?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yes I have the seeds I saved from those green beans. gave a few to a friend near by as well. no I haven't planted dent corn and I dont own a mill. I have access to free wheat so I need a mill
This is the one I got.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Every beer I brew holds true to exactly what you said. I toss some microbes (yeast) in to the right environment and there is an explosion of reproductive growth. The microbes will continue feeding, multipling and producing ethenol, until there is nothing left to devour. Then they become dormant until the next time when they are placed into the right conditions again, then they do it all over again. The whole cycle is extremely fascinating to me. Some of the yeasts I use is hundreds of years old if not older.

it isn't that mutations won't happen either and we will get some deadly strains of microbes here or there, but the majority just doesn't work that way and the vast bulk of microbes are either benign or cause some mild distress in most of the creatures they infect. even the worst types like Ebola are not 100%.

like i'm pretty sure that this particular microbe is not a recent mutation, it probably has been hanging out in bats for a long time it just had not made the jump to humans until recently. had it done so before? dunno. will be interesting to see what the science of this one will be. i'm sure they'll be working on it...

from the microbes perspective they're likely not directly aware of much beyond their immediate environment, but it is fun to ponder what a micrbobe philosopher might be like way down there on the other scale of things away from the multiple cellular collective being we are. we are habitat and transportation for them - or as i like to think of it that humans are pretty much just ways of the rest of life to get around since we seem to be very good at innoculating every place we go with life if it already doesn't have it. and to me that is a good and noble purpose of us to get into, habitats in space and then other planets. as soon as we can, and it will help us to have a way to leave some of our petty imaturities behind.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The National Guard in Illinois is supposedly mostly medical corps to run testing stations - according to the article that was linked by @CrealCritter . No intent at this time for the national Guard to be doing police/enforcement work.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's all starting to seem a little fishy

Things are happening very fast my friend.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you think Chinese COVID-19 is limited north of the Mexico or south of the Canadian boarders? What is Mexico or Canada doing to battle the "demon virus"? I would expect some type of health screening protocols to be enabled at all US ports of entry (by sea and land) very soon, if it's not happened already.

i thought they've pretty much closed the borders for non-essential stuff only. they probably don't have enough people to test everyone nor would it be a good use of time to try to prevent the spread since it has pretty much now spread everywhere.

IMO this is all way too little way too late.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today's news says 114 cases in VA and 2 of those passed last week...mid to late 70s men with other medical issues for a long time. Most of these were concentrated in an area where there is a generally affluent population of retireds, lot of travel. So --

One case recently confirmed in my county.

What is of great concern is that the carrier is contagious before they show symptoms. They share without intention to do so. It happens. It will continue.

As I've said before, the trickle down is the "unknown" and it will be worse before it gets better. That's why those prepared will do better. A SS life is about saving enough in good times to carry through bad ones. We preserve summer foods for winter eating, etc. Those out of work are in bad shape -- unless they have prepared. Few Americans have savings.

Last edited: