What's your fav. deer rifle?

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
My wife Sharon finally got her 1st deer! Right at 200 yards with a .243, the deer went about 100 feet from where she hit it. That's my girl.

12-10Shardeer1.jpg

12-10Shardeer2.jpg

12-10shardeerham.jpg

Steve

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Remington 700 VS .308

I load 37.6 gr of 4064 powder to push a 180 gr Hornady InterLock BT Spire point.

chud

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
when i am hunting in a buck only area i use a 30 cal. they hit hard. if i am hunting antlerless i use my 243 these are all head shots no meat damaged and can sell cape to taxidirmist plus does not have alot of recoil and this is just one of many pluses to shooting this round

G

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
Being a Maina and deer hunting in the blood. I us the following pending on how I feel or conditions.

1st 30-30 that is the true deer rifle IMO
2nd for longer open shots 30-40 krag
3rd. M4 with soft point. 5 round clip. I use it when I hear a lot of dumbasses are around. Never know!!

The longest shot you should take is 200 yrds max.
Make sure of your shot.
I've always felt the farthest shot is the one you take where you are sure you will drop the animal without wounding it.

his1911

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use a .30-06 Rem 742 Carbine for most of my deer hunting, but I also like my old Ruger 44mag carbine for close in fields and swampy areas!

bama boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Older Remington 700 BDL 30/06., and a Browning 243 A- Bolt. Both with leopold 3x9x50 scopes.....Love em both dearly,LOL..........

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I shoot a .270 Safari Grade B A R with a Nikon Monarch scope. I really like it.

Ivywoods

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here but this is a favorite subject of mine.

First off, let me say I get much more enjoyment out of bow hunting than rifle hunting. I use a 50 lb Hoyt bow. Longest shot I'll take with a bow is 30 yards.

For rifles, it is hard to pick a favorite. I guess "right now" my favorite would be my Weatherby .257 mag. Great, flat shooter, plenty of power. Ammo is a little expensive, so I don't waste any. When shot, it has a "boom" sound to it, as compared to my 25-06 which has a rather sharp "crack" that is kind of annoying.

My next favorite is my old 6mm remington. I have a Remington 700 BDL, old style. GREAT little gun. Flat shooter, plenty of power and the gun fits me like a glove. I've shot more deer with this gun than any other I own. I've owned it longer than the Weatherby.

I like a .270 with a light load, and a 30-06 is okay, but generally it's a bit more than I like to shoot. Hey, I'm a 56 year old female, and I don't need to abuse my body by shooting a gun with more power than I need. Besides, my 30-06 is a rather nice pre-64 Model 70 Winchester, and it has earned its place in protected retirement.

Most of my scopes are Leupold 40mm in the 3-9 or 4-12 power range. I am practiced and perfectly comfortable with shots out to 350. I would say the majority of my rifle harvests have been in the 250-300 range, with a few over 300. I don't take running shots, and it has been years since I have taken a shot and missed. I believe in one shot kills.

Since I butcher my own deer I'm rather picky about my ammo. In most of my guns I will shoot a remington Core-lokt bullet. I've always had good luck with those, and when I retrieve it upon butchering I find that it has a nice mushroom to it with no fragmenting. I hate it when bullet fragments and goes willy nilly through the meat. Tears things up too much.

bear

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Since I started hunting black powder, I've decided my original 58 cal 1855 Springfield is the way to go, especially in the brush, up to a hundred yards. The minie is really heavy, and certainly does the job. Plus it's under ten cents a shot-Bear

rd123

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
In my part of the country - the pacific northwest - we often find ourselves in heavy brush shooting 200 yds or less. Under those conditions I prefer my trusty lever action 30-30 Winchester. It is light weight, and ammo is easy to locate. It's just a good gun that will do the job in good weather and bad.