WHO has converted to CFLs??

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I finally picked up 6 yesterday and changed out the most used lites in the house. They take a while to warm up and the wife said they have a different color but I said don't worry.....you will get used to it. The most amazing part of these new light bulbs is they use about 10 watts of engery compared to traditional bulbs that use 60 watts and up. I know they are not cheap but it is a investment in future savings.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We really should be looking into LED lighting. Its way way cheaper and use far less energy than CFL and the bulbs are suppose to last up to 30 thousand hours!
We will be putting some in our studio over the garage pretty soon.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I would love to convert to LEDs but until the cost comes down and the brightness increases I won't be, except for maybe Christmas lights if they're on sale.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband is really into lighting and turns lights on all over the place. There is a running battle between us. He turns them on, I turn them off and so it goes all day long. So I am glad to have LEDs. The battle may end soon.:)

The LEDs are not to expensive. They will provide ambient lighting. We will use stronger bulbs for area seating, reading etc.

They are now making some LEDS that kinda look like light bulbs. similar shape but each one is composed of maybe 50 or so LEDs. Very economical to run, and lasts nearly for ever. I saw them once but not again. I expect they will pop up again before too long.

solarkate

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I HAVE!!! They last 5x as long and use 1/5 the electricity! My bill has decreased signifigantly! :cool:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am loving the CFLs for my starter seeds. I have used grow lights in the past and my plants always got leggy and many didn't make it to transplant time. With 100w equivalents (couldn't find 175s - these are recommended) and in a sunny window, my starters look great.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That's great that it's working better for you! Do there happen to be any squash or pumpkin seeds from our BYC exchange under those lights? ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Why yes :D

Sakata melon
Navajo melon
Musquee
Banana melon
Long Island striped pumpkin
white pumpkin
Butternut squash....

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does this mean changing to the fluro type lights? The curly ones?

I think you use different terms to what I am used to. If so we changed about 18 months ago, some Councils were actually giving owners the bulbs for free, unfortunetly not ours :he anyway we noticed a massive difference in the electricity bill.