Winter already?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh well, I've always heard that deer love Brassicaceae, I might want to remember that if I ever have to plant a food plot.

Turnips are in most food plot mixes. :) Guy behind planted them so HE could have the tops...DEER got the tops! I got the bulbs tho and my chickens & goats loved em! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got you beat by 3 wires, you can see all 4 wires in the last picture I posted. The electric fence was on at the time the deer got in there also :(. Oh well, I've always heard that deer love Brassicaceae, I might want to remember that if I ever have to plant a food plot.

That's the problem, CC. Your fencing is too visible. When deer can visualize it in the dark easily, they just take a leap and go over it. When it's one strand and not easily gauged for height, they will put their noses on it to explore it....then they avoid it from there on out. A zap to the nose or to the legs when they accidentally brush up against it is a life long deterrent to that deer. Got to keep it hot, though, as they will soon learn if you don't have it juiced up.

Trust me on it, when done right, a hot wire really works. Many folks make that common mistake....if one strand is good, then 4 should be better, huh? If they have one strand, they think they need to bait it with peanut butter tinfoil to get the deer to explore it, but they don't....deer are naturally curious and they want to evaluate this obstacle. If they can SEE the line easily, they don't explore the line....they gauge it and hop it.

The key is a thin, almost invisible line that they don't realize is even there until they are close enough to sniff it or brush up against it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's the problem, CC. Your fencing is too visible. When deer can visualize it in the dark easily, they just take a leap and go over it. When it's one strand and not easily gauged for height, they will put their noses on it to explore it....then they avoid it from there on out. A zap to the nose or to the legs when they accidentally brush up against it is a life long deterrent to that deer. Got to keep it hot, though, as they will soon learn if you don't have it juiced up.

Trust me on it, when done right, a hot wire really works. Many folks make that common mistake....if one strand is good, then 4 should be better, huh? If they have one strand, they think they need to bait it with peanut butter tinfoil to get the deer to explore it, but they don't....deer are naturally curious and they want to evaluate this obstacle. If they can SEE the line easily, they don't explore the line....they gauge it and hop it.

The key is a thin, almost invisible line that they don't realize is even there until they are close enough to sniff it or brush up against it.

Makes sense what your saying but I have the lower wires for squirrels, racoons, pole cats, possums, bob cats, coyotes and the occasional dog or tabby cat. The lower wires kind of works for rabbits but a few figure out if the run fast enough and jump through the wires they won't get shocked. My property backs up to the shawnee national forest I have no control what wanders out of their on to my property.

My neighbor up the road from me does the 1 wire like you but he also has about a dozen baited live traps. He is constantly taking them further up the road and releasing them. He hates when he traps a skunk (several times a year) - phew wee

I think next year I'll make up an oboma scarecrow and play CNN radio 24x7 that should scare anything away.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So is it going to get cold this winter or what? I'm walking around in my normal summer clothes still. Yesterday I ran my tiller and put in water drainage around the spring/fall garden. Heck how warm it is, I feel like I should be starting seeds indoors already.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has been cold but now it's getting warm again. 50 and rain tomorrow. That's unheard of for us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Windy, windy and a little windy today. Pretty much sustained winds around 30 with gusts even higher. It sucks...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother .. No, it blows.

Here is a Wyoming joke: Why is Wyoming so windy? Because Idaho blows and Nebraska sucks.

sustained 30 mph winds is a typical winter day in Wyoming, at least where I lived near Cheyenne at 7400 feet. It could be sunny, blue skies and almost 50 degrees out, but 30 mph winds makes you stay inside..

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been too warm here, low 50s for highs, low 40s at night. The rain finally did come though. Been a bit windy, but not bad. 15-25 mph.

New silkie pen roofs ignored any wind