Your Favorite Pumpkin and Squash Recipes!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Another seasonal treat:

Squash and Apple Bakean absolute classic in my family of origin. May cut butter and sugar by half.

2 pounds butternut or buttercup squash (1 medium)
cup packed brown sugar
cup butter, melted
1 T flour
1 t salt
t ground mace or nutmeg or cinnamon
2 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices

Heat oven to 350. Prepare squash by peeling and slicing into slices. Mix all ingredients except for squash and apples. Arrange squash slices in rectangular baking dish, 11 x 7. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Cover with foil and bake 50-60 min or until squash is tender.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Buttercup squash baked. That's it; that's pure heaven for me, doesn't need a thing, not even salt or butter.
It's the funniest thing when I bring plain baked and mashed Buttercups to a dinner and everyone wants my recipe, lol!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Come on, everyone! Help me add to my recipe file on squash and pumpkins :)

Here's another one I really enjoy fall mornings:

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole-wheat flour)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar

Directions:
1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Y'all are wicked-
You made me buy a pie pumpkin with the recipes on the dinner thread and now it already wont be enough! I'm trying to save the canned stuff for when the real ones are hard to get. Guess I gotta go back to the store. And subscribe to this thread. :ya

me&thegals

Reaction score
Here's a gluten-free recipe:

GF Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups white sugar
cup corn oil
1 cup canned pumpkin

2 cups plus 1 tblsp. GF flour mixture (see GF thread for recipe for GF flour)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teasp. baking soda
teasp. salt
teasp. xanthan gum

Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with electric mixer in bowl for 1 minute. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl until combined, then add to pumpkin mixture. Mix on low just until combined- dont over mix.

Batter can be spooned into muffin pans at this point and baked @ 350 degrees for about 18 minutes, or you can add the following cream cheese mixture to the center of each muffin batter before baking:

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1 tblsp. sugar

Mix well and spoon or inject each muffin with cream cheese mixture and then bake for 18-20 minutes @ 350.

*I use a small food injector available at grocery stores or kitchen gadget stores. You can also use a piping bag or turkey baster.

Makes about 20 muffins

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Buttercup squash baked. That's it; that's pure heaven for me, doesn't need a thing, not even salt or butter.
It's the funniest thing when I bring plain baked and mashed Buttercups to a dinner and everyone wants my recipe, lol!
That IS pretty funny! :lol:

I love it plain as well, sylvie. YUM! DH prefers real butter and maple syrup. :D

me&thegals

Reaction score
I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds like a winner!

Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Leek and Coconut Milk Soupallrecipes.com
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 pound peeled and diced pumpkin
pound sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 quart vegetable broth
1 cups light coconut milk

1. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and leek, and cook for a few minutes, until soft. Stir in the pumpkin, sweet potato, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
2. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mash vegetables coarsely using a potato masher. Stir in the coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, and serve.