Your Weather

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its 4 C out right now, its raining and its supposed to get up to 9 C today.

We've been having lovely weather all week and over the weekend so I think that spring is on its way... it certainly is with Nacho and Peaches... peaches is in heat.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
It's 63 now. Strong to severe storms :hide and heavy rain are supposed to move in this afternoon.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wind has calmed down but temps still in the 60's for highs(midnight it was 30). Only lasting for a few days though as we have another storm coming in.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wonderful weather! +6C! It's supposed to be raining but isn't yet. Got my chicken coop all cleaned out and put fresh shavings and borax in. Smells wonderful in there again:>) Checked for lice and mites and they are clean! Whoo hoo, borax really does work!
Now to get rid of those pigeons...I have discovered I don't like pigeons much...too messy for me

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It is lovely out there right now, 57 and calm. There's a high wind warning for late night and overnight, but you couldn't tell that right now, it's calm out there. Calm before the storm, I guess! Showers and thunderstorms after midnight - I could use a good thunderstorm right now, more signs it's getting just a wee bit warmer!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WIIIIIINDYYYYYYYY!!!!! I think the wind speeds are lower than they were in Sept when Ike passed through here, but it's pretty strong! I really hope the power doesn't go out. :fl

And any of you who are experiencing this can blame my DH. EVERY TIME he goes out of town, the weather gets bad! Of course, he's decided he needs to come home from Michigan TODAY because he seems to want to give me an ulcer. Driving straight down 75 thru all the crappy weather. :rolleyes:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We had some intense wind last night. It blew some trees down in our woods which translates into easy firewood. A shed lost one side of it's shingles.

Just talked to db who has a 35' racing sail boat out of the water up on a cradle which is how they are stored for winter at the marina. Four boats blew over, kind of like a domino effect. His wasn't one of them because they had a custom made cradle or just lucky. I was at the marina yesterday watching the ice jam building up at Lake Erie and many boat owners were checking the boats from that. Another marina down the road had a lot of damage from the ice flows rising up over the banks onto the dry dock; we don't know how they weathered the wind last night.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We had temperatures up to 8 C for the last few days (that's, what, low to mid 40s F?) for a medium-sized thaw (and on our property, "thaw" means "flooding")... then 1.5-2" of rain for a real full-sized flood, followed now by high winds and wet snowbands coming down from Georgian Bay. On the bright side, the wet snow is at least temporarily protecting all the newly-revealed grass from the cold hard wind.

The thaw flooding went ok, mainly thanks to this year's new ditches. I did get a small lake in the hay part of the barn (this is despite *2* sump pumps... anyone else have *2* sump pumps in their barn? :p) but I'd moved the hay to the slightly-higher bits of floor the other day in anticipation, so I do not think anything bad has happened.

(BTW, "self-sufficient" is when you find a way to move five 750-lb big square bales from one end of the barn to the other, without help or machinery. Yay me :D)

The funny thing is... with most of the garden beds exposed (and not yet covered up again by new snow) it's like seeing an old friend who you haven't met in a while, not actually getting to talk to them but just seeing them walk by outside the window or something :p

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
(BTW, "self-sufficient" is when you find a way to move five 750-lb big square bales from one end of the barn to the other, without help or machinery. Yay me :D)
Pat
Yeah, how did you do that?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
First one I tipped over onto spare fenceposts as rollers; then I remembered we have the homemade dolly we use putting them into the barn.

To get a bale onto the rollers or dolley, I snapped a horse leadrope onto a baler string on the back side of the bale, used my body weight to get it rocking enough to tip over onto rollers/dolly (the bales are each on a pallet, so that helped give clearance for them to roll over). For one I had to rig up a pulley to the base of a barn post to encourage it over. But they all EVENTUALLY went. Then I just trundled each bale to its destination and rolled it again (with a certain amount of vocabulary) to get it off.

And thank you for asking :)P at self for being foolishly proud)

<snort>

Pat

Latest posts