Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I prefer my well water. I have a soda maybe once or twice a week some weeks but I usually skip it, and NO caffeine...it makes me crazy lol my niece sucks down sugar constantly.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is a sugar addict. I'm working on cutting it out but he can't handle it, lol. He's all about eating food we grow/raise but has a serious sweet tooth as well.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm a sugarholic too. I try to keep it to a minimum, but I pretty much quit baking cakes because of it lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What's funny is the human brain uses a lot of sugar to fuel its functions, which is why kids crave sugar so much...but it's the kind of sugar that matters most. I still prefer cake over a potato though...and this ^^^is how I rationalize my sugar consumption being okay....good excuse as any...I can't change my craving, can only cut back and fall off the wagon and cut back again and fall off the wagon...okay and sometimes I even jump off the wagon after the ice cream truck but....it's a vicious cycle...I can't help it lol!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well.....dammit! Ya'll just busted my lemon bubble for sure. I thought I was doing ok when I wouldn't let 'em float 'em inmy water... I always insist on them being on the side. Guess it doesn't matter...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nope, I won't touch restaurant lemon slices, or drink from a glass that has had one on it. Germ factory!!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Re: sugar cravings, I've noticed that increasing my fiber intake changes how much I want sugar. There's some complex microbiome stuff about fiber nurturing a bacteria or something that helps control blood sugar? I was reading medical journals again.... :gig Don't recall the details, but I decided more fiber would be good for me. I notice when I move away from high fiber diet because then I'm going from one sugar fix to the next.

Maybe try that for those wanting to get away from sugar but feeling stuck. I'm curious if others have similar or different experiences.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I eat loads of fiber. I love oatmeal flavored with honey and cinnamon and eat it often as a quick snack. I have no lack of fiber. And I eat tons of raw carrots.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know but it's interesting. I've never paid much attention to fiber....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just crave high fiber foods. I don't really pay that much attention to it either.