Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wet, dreary day here
Same here. Torrential downpours last night, then off and on rain all day today. I was really lucky to find two non-rainy moments to let my dogs outside before and after they ate their breakfast. And a mostly not raining 1/2 hour to do my chicken chores.

Then I had another rain free half hour in which I did some badly needed weeding while the ground is soft. But I didn’t quit soon enough, and got rained on again.

Going to spend the rest of the day doing inside stuff. I have an egg with a broken yolk that I’m going to bake in something. (Reject from breakfast because I don’t like to fry eggs with broken yolks.)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter Do you have an automatic door for your coop? If so, what kind did you buy?

Yes we went "Hi-Tech Redneck" with a solar, programmable automatic door, including 2 remotes (12V Battery - You Supply).

My wife programed if for dust to dawn. Meaning the door closes at dusk and opens at dawn. There are several different ones to choose from on Amazon. I'm not going to recommend the one we purchased just yet, because it's only been in use for a short amount of time. it'll need to operate every day and night for a few months before I'll recommend it. But so far so good.

But we purchased one because it runs off 12V DC. So when all the fancy solar and SEALED litiiumn battery pack stops working, I can slip in a small rechargable 12 battery. It did come with an extra battery pack for a bunch of 1.5v AA batteries that you supply, plus a plug in 12 V DC transformer, so at least they thought about the long haul. Being 12 Volt DC it will also be easy to hook up to a 12 volt DC electric fence power source if needed. My only real consern is longevity of the motor and the programmable circuit board at this point.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Blah....

We missed red leaf season... way too much rain and overcast. So most of the red just went to muddy brown. :(

Yellow leaves are now up... but the second those turned some already dropped.....

Blah rainy fall. 🌧 :hide

What is the actual temperature? MSM has all of Alaska in different shades of blue. Are you guys frozen soild up there?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can’t sleep. Woke up before 1AM. It’s 3:11 and still wide awake. I made some camomile tea, good, but not sleepy. Read a book. Dogs are quiet. Last night they barked a lot, this morning they smelled faintly of skunk, so not a direct hit. Of course I petted them, then my clothes smelled faintly of skunk. Guess I’ll read the book some more.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule sorry you couldn't sleep, hopefully you went back to bed. Been up since 4:30 here, so not as early but early enough. Mods are asleep and DH left for work at 4.

Cool today, high of 58F. Looks like fall is here, 10 day forecast shows 60s and low 70s. Time for apple orchards and pumpkin patches. Got a bunch if apple and squash yesterday so the house should smell good today.

Quiet weekend beyond both girls have eye dr appts Sat morning.

Happy Friday everyone

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can’t sleep. Woke up before 1AM. It’s 3:11 and still wide awake. I made some camomile tea, good, but not sleepy. Read a book. Dogs are quiet. Last night they barked a lot, this morning they smelled faintly of skunk, so not a direct hit. Of course I petted them, then my clothes smelled faintly of skunk. Guess I’ll read the book some more.

i've been going to bed early enough the past few nights that i'm waking up early but i've managed to get back to sleep here or there. interesting dreams - wish i had a recorder running for a few of them as they were funny.

weather changes can wake me up. no dogs. i've gotten a lot better at sleeping through noises. Mom stays up late watching tv and i conk out with that as background noise now often so sometimes what i wake up from is when she goes to sleep and it gets quiet. ha!

this morning it was cold out when i woke up and i could tell i wasn't going back to sleep so i got up and got the hot water going for Mom and turned on the heat for a few minutes to get the cold and damp out of the house.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what's happening, this is on the outer row. It gets better pollinated in the inner rows.
IMG_20220923_140346643~2.jpg

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't T-bone a brangus cross that you bought? There is the biggest difference. They are not near as much of a "rear-end" type of cattle whereas the galloways, in any of the colors, is a shorter and more beefy "beef" animal. I think that by next year T-Bone will have put on a fair amount of weight... they grow more size as younger animals then beef out...but the nature of the breed is leaner looking than some of the other breeds. Has to do with their adaptation to hotter climates originally. Brangus means brahma-angus cross.... makes a difference.
I think he looks pretty good and is all nice and slick coated so he is good and healthy inside... they don't slick up like that if they are carrying a worm load.