Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule good luck today. I hope you can get everything you want done! wish I was closer I would help out :) don't over do it too much though, remember to take your breaks and drink your water and eat!

today we have rain, glorious rain, thunder and lightning since about 2 am. I think it is supposed to stop here for a bit and then start again. I did put the chickens out but they weren't impressed. lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Whelp, off to a good start. Wife forgot to take care of the car tags that expire next month (got the notice in July), thank goodness I noticed the tags on the car. I took care of that this morning.

New butcher shop opened near us. Stopped in, a little disappointed, almost everything was frozen. I guess they need a larger volume of business so the fresh stuff turns over quickly. Bought some sausage and bacon. We'll see.

The clutter mountains are calling again. The wife doesn't feel up to helping can today.

Will need to figure out what to do after lunch, I guess

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm taking a very slow morning, had breakfast already (a few apple slices with peanut butter and then the last of the stuffed peppers), getting caught up on the groups and news and what i missed the past few days.

i'm not sure what i'll do today other than bury the bucket of tomato trimmings. the sun is out, a slight breeze, high of 83F predicted today.

after the dew burns off i can check out the dry bean pod situation and that will keep me busy for a while. maybe pick some fresh beans for steaming.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need bigger kitties 🙄
Screenshot_20220827-124907~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i love snakes. hope kitties are smart enough to know how to avoid or deal with snakes like that.
Me too but I think just having kitties roaming around will keep the snakes away from the buildings.

Glad it was only close by, but not on our property. It's a copperhead, you like copperheads?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Me too but I think just having kitties roaming around will keep the snakes away from the buildings.

i don't know so i can't say much other than i hope it works out for all involved. :)

Glad it was only close by, but not on our property. It's a copperhead, you like copperheads?

we don't have to contend with them up here so i have no direct experience with them. instead we have swamp rattlers which are not common enough that i see them often at all. the last one i saw was a juvenile and i watched it for a few moments as it crawled across a clear space heading for the north hedge.

the other snakes up here are mostly harmless even if they might startle me. some can be larger but not huge. winter sends them all into hibernation.

do copperheads eat groundhogs, rabbits, raccoons, chipmunks, mice or deer? if so i like them.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deer? Anyone said deer?. First time I had it was my own roadkill,lol and I did not liked it at all. But since the game ward gave it to us, I had a freezer full of it. Put my sofrito in it, and oh yeah, good meat.
Never learned to hunt. We have hunting seasons here in MI. Wish I could put some on my freezer!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kitties do not deal with snakes! What they DO deal with is mice that snakes like for dinner. So.....a round about way of dealing 😊 helps but doesn't prevent.

Deer are well fed here due to a lot of corn and pnut grown in area, plus winter wheat. I don't hunt BUT could take out a few most any evening at or on my property. It can be great meat, cooked correctly. Of course, I raise goats, so meat available.

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I do not have but 1.5 acres and fenced it because of baby deers coming and with chickens, I was afraid of a predator would come after the deer and find an easy chicken dinner.
However. I dislike Wyndottes. Had 3 and for nothing in the world in a year could integrate them with my original 6. Culled them and cooked one and it was like leather and the taste was horrible. Was the breed or something I did wrong? I just cut under throat, put in hot water to remove feathers, cut open and removed all. Saved the gizzard and heart. Then, after super wahing, put them on ziplock bags and freezer them. As part of self-sufficient, would like to get meat birds but if they taste like that, I guess walmart will still have my wallet. I am so new to this, so sorry