Not open for further replies.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Corona Virus Panic Room

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been working on the garden too. I never plant potatoes because they're too carby for DH - but I might change that this year because I can eat 'em, lol! Oh... and corn too! I can eat the corn and potatoes - he can eat the green beans and squash. Works for me!!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just hit the community transmission stage here. I am also pleased with how the government has handled it here. I don't think they could have done much better, despite the complaints from many facebook mummies and twitter toads. Boarders are shutting down now, and had it been a more deadly virus, I think they would have done that sooner. I can definitely understand why they have let it into the country as there would be no stopping it from travellers in the long run anyway. I will be interested to see how we go through this with many of our goods going to and coming from China, I am unsure if it will impact it at all really. There may be more jobs available in my area since they have suspended working visas.

I am very thankful to be living out of the city, very glad to have my little block of Eden. I have just returned from a shopping trip down on the coast and was pleasantly surprised at how civil it all was. Not packed out. Some stock was low but I got all on my list besides one thing. Some stuff was more expensive as I had to get brand names and may have been knocked around a bit, I thought it better to pick it up now rather than wait until kids are free from school and risk that germ festival. Now to unpack and organise!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At food demos -- where I have actually prepared a dip, a main course food, a cookie, etc. from scratch -- it is normal for the people to ask what aisle, how packaged, and such. When I say that you MAKE it.....oh, no! A jar, can, frozen prepped, I do. But, nothing from scratch.

People often do not know how to cook, just heat & eat or buy at a drive thru. It's sad, really. Even this current health scare won't change it. Nope, they don't know how to cook.

IF they had to actually butcher.....the only one dead would be the person, from starvation. Even fresh veggies are pretty safe. If you don't cook, you sure don't do "dirt" in a garden. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went this morning and there was plenty of sugar, some flour, plenty of breakfast baking mixes, a couple bags of rice and a couple bags of beans, hardly any soup, a few canned meats, some canned milk, plenty of canned veggies, frozen veggies and fresh veggies. I bought an extra box of pint jars and a 4 pack of toilet paper. There was very little toilet paper and no paper towels. Eh...not terrible - not great.

@tortoise - I wish we lived closer - I would share with you. I was recently gifted a 50lb bag of carrots. I've canned carrots and canned carrots and canned carrots, lol. Made some awesome carrot cake and plenty of soup with carrots as an ingredient. I still have carrots! We might get sick of carrots but we should have awesome eyesight for awhile, lol!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My liberal sister-in-law posted this on Facebook...
🌝Good Morning & Happy Hump Day! Please take a minute and read why we are the GREATEST NATION ❤️🇺🇸

The reports are that the truckers are getting supplies to the stores. People are stocking the shelves all night and letting old people shop first. Carnival Cruise line told Trump “We can match those big Navy Hospital ships with some fully staffed cruise ships” GM said hold our cars and watch this; we can make those ventilators where we were making cars starting next week. Women and children are making homemade masks and handing out snacks to truckers. Restaurants and schools said, We’ve got kitchens and staff; we can feed kids.” Churches are holding on-line services and taking care of their members and community. NBA basketball players said, “Hold our basketballs while we write checks to pay the arena staff.” Construction companies said, “Here are some masks for the medical staff and doctors”. Breweries are making sanitizer out of the left-over ingredients. We thought we couldn’t live without Baseball, NASCAR, NBA or going to the beach, restaurants or a bar. Instead, we’re trying to keep those businesses open by ordering take-out.

You’ve got two Democrat Governors getting told “We will make it happen” by a Republican President who has fought with them for three and half years. While the media keeps repeating itself, “We are a nation divided.”
What communist China didn't count on was America saying "Hey, hold my beer and watch this."
I think a Japanese Admiral in the middle of the Pacific said it best in 1941, "I think we have awakened a sleeping giant."
Give us a few more weeks (maybe months) and we will be doing much better! And stop listening to the hysterical media!!
Sharing this from another FB friend. We have a wonderful country and an amazing God.
I know we will be ok .🇺🇸🙏🏻🙌🏻🙏🏻🇺🇸

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think once people get over the shock, most will have better quality of life due to the restrictions. Better quality food, more exercise, valuing social connection, etc.
Tonight, I went to pick up a set of speakers for our church to have a "drive in" service this weekend. While driving, I noticed something great. People were working outside. Families were setting on the front porch with each other. People were doing things that make us human. The sun was warm, and the sky was blue. It almost felt like everything was right in the world.

Prayers for you @Chic Rustler

Status
Not open for further replies.