Food Storage on $5 a week

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes that is very good info Byod. Common sense stuff. None of that 'Get ready for the Zombies' craziness. Thanks for the down to earth link.......those are really hard to find.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Common sense stuff. None of that 'Get ready for the Zombies' craziness.
You do realize when people talk about zombies, it isn't literally the walking undead they are talking about, right?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Common sense stuff. None of that 'Get ready for the Zombies' craziness.
You do realize when people talk about zombies, it isn't literally the walking undead they are talking about, right?
Perhaps you should define the zombie we speak of, something like: Any human who devolves because of a major crisis that they never prepared for and becomes deranged with cannibalistic chud like instincts just to feed its lowly self and offspring because they ate the 1 day food supply they had.

Zombie people will gang together to try and infiltrate a house to steal food from regular humans who have prepared themselves, however once the house is breached the zombies resort to killing everybody so they can have more. See the Grasshopper and Ant fable.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It should be noted that there are many great reasons to do long-term food storage, aside from a TSHTF/zombie scenario, including:

1) Having to shelter in place due to a natural disaster (including solar storms that knock out the power grid for who-knows how long, meaning the banks & grocery stores are closed);

2) Long-term unemployment - at least you won't starve!;

3) Either of the previous 2 things happen, & you suddenly find yourself with unexpected houseguests (parents, grown children, etc.) for an unknown period of time.

I crack up (& smile smugly) when a big snow-storm is forecast somewhere, & the newcasts show 10 people in each line at the grocery store, & all the shelves cleaned out...:lol:

No matter your reason for doing it, just do it...!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Perhaps you should define the zombie we speak of, something like: Any human who devolves because of a major crisis that they never prepared for and becomes deranged with cannibalistic chud like instincts just to feed its lowly self and offspring because they ate the 1 day food supply they had.
Exactly!

No matter your reason for doing it, just do it...!
:thumbsup

In our case, we had a blizzard so bad one year a friend of ours couldn't get home. The highway to his house was buried under snow for 3 days. We had plenty of food for all and spent the time plying poker.

In another instance a flash flood washed out a section of stream and a big chunk of land next to it. One of the main electric towers was on that chunk of land. No electricity for 2 weeks. Fortunately I had a well stocked pantry, plenty of propane for the grill and a camp stove along with a coleman lantern.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Fortunately I had a well stocked pantry, plenty of propane for the grill and a camp stove along with a coleman lantern.
I've been thinking about getting a good camp stove and a couple wind up flashlights. How much do camp stoves run, do you think?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I see them all the time at garage sales. Do you want me to see if I can find one for you? Should be less than $20.

As for wind up flashlights, spring for a new one that uses LED lights. With the old models you crank forever and the light is weak and doesn't last long. I have a new one with LED bulbs that is great. Lasts for a long time off of a minute of cranking and I really like it. I got it at Kohl's of all places at and after Christmas sale. I paid $25 I think?

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do know what the zombie talk is about....I'm not completely simple :rolleyes: . It just seems to me that when I search out preparedness on the net I have to wade through all the other bs that's on the sites, videos, and blogs. Whether it be touchy feely hippy stuff or LDS church stuff, or wright wing paranoia. It just seems that for the most part those are the kinds of people that prepare, and I don't see myself as prescribing to any of those schools of thought.
I guess that's why I'm here. I would say I'm more interested in homesteading (of course I could use a homestead :/ ). That and ya'll seem to be more my kinda folks. :)

BTW nothin against said groups, just not my style.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have put back food for storage - my family still thinks I'm off my rocker for doing so.

I have had to pack the extra food into boxes (yes, packed and taped shut), so they know not to touch them.

I have to keep these boxes in the dining room.