hobobrando- my foraging adventures.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Got up this morning drove over to my uncles and picked up 6 meat chicks. Got them home and they went right to town eating and sleeping.

I wanted to go canoeing real bad today so I brought the canoe down to the lake hopped in and set off. I noticed right away that the wind was making it impossible to steer or even go the way I wanted. I got blown way away from the boat launch so decided I had to get back to shoore. On my way back I ended up in an opening problably 60ft wide between an island and a sandbar. The wind caught the front of the canoe and flipped me over. When I surfaced I couldnt swim because I had mud boots on and even with the life jacket I was wearing I couldnt swim in the cold water. I drifted to the island and pulled myself up onto dry ground. I pulled my cellphone out and tried to call my mom who was on shoore about 3/4 of a mile away. My phone was shot so I wated for my capsized canoe to drift towards the island and I flipped it over and dumped it out. I grabbed my duffle and everything was there except for my camera and a seat that was in the canoe. I didnt want to hop back in the canoe because it was a lost hope paddling it solo in the wind. I managed to signal my mother with my life jacket and some people from shoore came out and rescued me. I guess I should have listened to my mother when she said it was to windy to go out in the canoe.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, glad you are ok!!! I had to get rescued once, too, early in the spring when the water was faster than it looked, and my friend and I, who often rented a canoe and paddled for an hour or two, quickly realized we were not skilled enough to handle the current. We managed to get to shore on the other side of the river before we got to the falls, and fortunately, the guy who rented us the canoe noticed our dilemma and set out in a motor boat to rescue us! We would've had a LOOOOONG walk back, as it was a very rural area.

You must've been cold!!

How is your camera?

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My wet clothes were making me cold so I took off my shirt, when the two men arrive in the boat I was standing there half naked :rolleyes: .

I didnt get my camera back it is at the bottom of the lake.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear your ok. I would have been scared to death. Haven't you learned that your Mother is ALLWAYS right. :D Take care!!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
When I was younger and couldn't swim I walked right off a drop in the water that was over my head. It is very scary, and I imagine you were very lucky. Was it over your head or on the sand bar?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Moms are usually right! :D So glad you were saved....its a nice feeling to have someone come to your rescue when you've done something a little....well... against good advice. Glad you are okay!! :hugs

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Eli, The water was way over the top of my head. The worst part was when I got out I realized I had gone swimming in the nastyest water in Vermont, correction second nastyest St.Albans Bay is worse.

I know I know I should have listened to my mom.