krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys...here's what and how much went in:

49.2 oz/3.07 lb Color safe bleach
76 oz/4 lb, 12 oz borax
55 oz/3 lb, 7oz washing soda
about 1/2 the bar of Fels Naptha soap

The clothes he washed last night looked and smelled clean. I guess trial and error and maybe add a little more grated soaps?

We have a front loader and I will use the vinegar rinse.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Normally you would use more of the bar soap in that mix, if you want you could add more. I copied the recipe from the soap supply company for you. Maybe it will help you to make the adjustments.

Powdered Laundry Detergent (My favorite)

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap

1/2 cup washing soda

1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 2 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

To make a large batch - grate 6 bars of Fels Naptha Soap and then add 3 cups of Washing Soda and 3 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax. Mix well and store in covered container.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This is the recipe for fabric softener that I have
1 cup baking soda
6 cups distilled vinegar
8 cups water
10-15 drops lavendar oil or other scented essential oil (optional)

You will need a one gallon plastic container

First add the baking soda to the plastic container

Next add 1 cup of the water to start with

Slowly add the vinegar to the bottle as the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz

Then add the rest of the water swirling around, cover; venting the top a few times.
last add the essential oil

Add 1 cup to your final rinse cycle for each load, but give the bottle a good shake to stir up the essential oil if using.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Excellent on the fabric softener...thanks!!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Natalie,
thanks. the recipe for the larger batch sounds about right. We'll grate the rest of the bar and add it in.
Thanks also for the fabric softener recipe. I will tackle that one as our store bought runs out.

BTW: I told 2 people we were making our own laundry detergent and they looked at me like I had three heads!! (which I don't).

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I know what you mean. This happens to me all the time. My friend rolled her eyes at me the other day, and I was like hey this only costs 3 cents a load and doesn't have any irritants in it.
I am thinking the best way to show people is maybe to make some up in mason jars and let them try it for themselves.
They sure as heck don't mind taking my jam off my hands, maybe I should throw this in next time.
I really don't care what other people use for detergent, its just getting them to realize I am not crazy, or worse yet
A hippie like Tutter.:lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I finally found all of the ingredients for my first batch of homemade laundry detergent (powder recipe). :weee Except I coundn't find the Fels Naptha so I am going to substitute Ivory since that's what DH uses anyway. I'm going to mix my first batch tomorrow. If I like it (ya'll say I will) I'm just going to mix the rest of it up.

I was thinking, wouldn't half-pint jars with the recipe make great little Christmas gifts? :cool:

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
Thanks guys...here's what and how much went in:

49.2 oz/3.07 lb Color safe bleach
76 oz/4 lb, 12 oz borax
55 oz/3 lb, 7oz washing soda
about 1/2 the bar of Fels Naptha soap

The clothes he washed last night looked and smelled clean. I guess trial and error and maybe add a little more grated soaps?

We have a front loader and I will use the vinegar rinse.
Well, it's not rocket science, really. I don't think you have to worry about blowing anything up. LOL Aside from adding more soap, my only concern would be there's about 50% more borax than anything else. And from what I understand, borax can cause skin irritation in some. Knowing that, I wouldn't like that high concentration if I had sensitive skin.

Tutter! You're a hippie? Does dad know? :lol:

Cassandra

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We Use TIDE(R) For our Whites: get's them cleaner and whiter and the homemade for everything else.