Microwaves, how evil are they?

Reaction score
Hiedi said:
We are having problems with our microwave. I noticed the problem first when melting butter. When I tried to melt butter, it would spark. Now it is doing that with most everything, sometimes making a horrendous array of sparks inside. The only way it will work correctly is to put a glass of water in with everything that we microwave. Personally, I just want to get rid of ours and NOT replace it. The only problem is; it is mounted to the kitchen cabinets, and it will take some work to get rid of it so there is still that temptation to use it occasionally. Mostly what we used ours for was to heat food or water, but I would rather just go back to heating things the old-fashioned way. I did finally get away from microwaving popcorn. I use a Whirley-Pop (popcorn popper) on the stove top for that now.

When we started having problems with the microwave, that is when I did some research online and was reading about all the bad things associated with microwave use. From what I have read, I am convinced that microwaves are not safe at all. I am just curious to know how consumers ever got suckered-in on this product. I suppose the FDA said that microwaves were safe and everyone fell for it. However, we have the internet now; and that's power to the people. :D
The microwaves that attach to your cabinet above your stove are easy to remove. Just open the cabinet above it. There should be 3 screw heads. just unscrew them and ease the oven down.

There's nothing unsafe about microwaves. Read Wifezillas post. Sounds like yours is in need of the trash pile though. If you take your stove down, be sure 2 people are involved. They are heavy.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have already read enough information to convince me that microwaves are NOT safe so I "disagree" with anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. If you want to believe that microwaves are safe that is definitely your prerogative. ;)

Reaction score
Hiedi said:
I have already read enough information to convince me that microwaves are NOT safe so I "disagree" with anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. If you want to believe that microwaves are safe that is definitely your prerogative. ;)
Well you should unplug yours. It might be a fire hazard.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm with ya on this one, Hiedi. Just because we are told something is safe, doesn't make it so. Crisco is safe, and has been for many decades, remember? Not only safe, but good for you! It is now known that hydrogenated fats are extremely dangerous. But still on the shelves, still very legal, still in almost every processed food item.

Grains put under high pressure in the commercial extrusion process become neuro-toxic when the proteins are smashed.....organic cereals are worse than non-organic, because organic grains are higher in protein. Seen a cereal aisle lately? Safe. Not in my house.

BPA's....safe even for baby bottles and teething toys....oops, we were wrong...sorry, kids!

MSG....safe! Aspartame....safe! GMO's....safe! DDT.....safe! Smoking.....safe!

Shall I go on? ;)

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Hiedi said:
Well you should unplug yours. It might be a fire hazard.
OK...thanks for the information. Maybe I should work on getting rid of it soon. Unfortunately, the only option is the landfill because I don't think it can be recycled for anything. That's another dilemma that I won't expound on.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Microwave is my friend... :) I can cook, but my brother can't and by friend, I mean... if it means the house doesn't burn down because my brother is useless with a gas stove, then thumbsup from me.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just because we are told something is safe, doesn't make it so.
I have a feeling that you and I think alike. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yet I still use mine....:smack to me, twice in one day!

I am working on weaning myself off, though. Sheesh. Habits are hard to break. I throw my mug in there in the morning with hardly a thought. Just water. I need one of those instant hot water pots. Or maybe I just need to learn....er...um....what is it??? Oh! Patience! :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yet I still use mine....:smack to me, twice in one day!

I am working on weaning myself off, though. Sheesh. Habits are hard to break. I throw my mug in there in the morning with hardly a thought. Just water. I need one of those instant hot water pots. Or maybe I just need to learn....er...um....what is it??? Oh! Patience! :rolleyes:
Or a nice, little teakettle that whistles! :) They heat pretty fast.

I'm with you ladies. I don't need a public service message on the safety of an appliance to tell me what is safe, what is not. Sort of like the tanning beds and especially the ones that tan you in 5 minutes. Not good. :(

Remember how everyone was really lovin' their aluminum cookware back in the 60s and 70s? And many old country folks still use them to this day. :rolleyes: Of course, they can't remember WHY they are using them, or even remember how to cook with them or even what planet we are on.....