Need imput/approval regarding new official journal "questions" list...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Second, I would refer you to a post I intiated a while ago about "Who reads what we write" and then ask you some questions about the current proposal. Most of us do share the same goals and aspirations to be as completely ss as possible. Many have a variety of reasons all of which are valid, particularly to those whose reasons they are. However, it appears to me that the answers to some of the questions are perhaps a little TMI. It would seem kind of reasonable to keep ones' personal information just a bit more private unless that is the type of information you want publicised to the entire world. As I said in my other post, I would assume there are folks reading these posts (lurking I think you call it) who are doing internet reconaissance for their own (sometimes nefarious) purposes. The question therefore is just how much information do you want to share with them?
That info is going to them regardless. It is really easy to hack someone's ip and get all kinds of their information by being on the same forum with them. And if you read enough posts, you get an idea of the person's land without them having to say anything but how much food they grow and how many animals they have.

It's not that you are being too paranoid, it's that once you are paranoid enough, you realize there is only so much you can do.

Leaving out cities is a good thing, for certain, but on this forum we all already tell enough information to get squatters showing up if they've a mind. I don't think any of the questions are asking for any more information than we give one another in posts, is all I am saying.

And it's always up to the person what they do and don't say.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
About identifying info- I went ahead and said what town I'm in because it's 40,000 people. If it was a smaller town- I'd be more vague. I also said I live in an apartment.- Lots of apartments in this town , so that doesn't narrow it down much.
I've stated that my hubby is disabled but this town is popular with retirees so people that are not it great health blend right in.

People can get IP addresses and get much more info, but most people don't bother. Anybody that checks to see if I'm a good potential target will realize that I don't have much that they would want. Most of my stockpile is skills or knowledge, and that's hard to steal.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Awesome!
Well I put together 25 based on the suggestions here, some I kind of consolidated because they were getting at the same answer:

13. What are you growing?
19. Do you like to garden? If so, what are you growing?
I'm still thinking over the list, but these to are nearly the same? :hu

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You are right, they are! I'll fix that. I guess I'm really interested in what people are growing! :lol:

S

sunsaver

dragonlaurel said:
About identifying info- I went ahead and said what town I'm in because it's 40,000 people. If it was a smaller town- I'd be more vague. I also said I live in an apartment.- Lots of apartments in this town , so that doesn't narrow it down much.
I've stated that my hubby is disabled but this town is popular with retirees so people that are not it great health blend right in.

People can get IP addresses and get much more info, but most people don't bother. Anybody that checks to see if I'm a good potential target will realize that I don't have much that they would want. Most of my stockpile is skills or knowledge, and that's hard to steal.
The biggest danger from tmi is stalkers or with children, sex offenders. Im not too afraid of putting my face online, because only people who know me will recognize me or know where i live. I've been to Hot Springs many times and love to go to Colemans Crystal mine, but i have no idea what dragonlaurel's real name is, or how to find her. That is what you want. No way for wackos or stalkers to find you.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
sunsaver said:
dragonlaurel said:

The biggest danger from tmi is stalkers or with children, sex offenders. Im not too afraid of putting my face online, because only people who know me will recognize me or know where i live. I've been to Hot Springs many times and love to go to Colemans Crystal mine, but i have no idea what dragonlaurel's real name is, or how to find her. That is what you want. No way for wackos or stalkers to find you.
Actually- I 'm not willing to use my legal name online, cause of a bad ex. I've dealt with a couple stalking twice but one of them has been to jail a couple times since then, and has serious mental issues. So no matter how long ago it was- it's worth keeping my guard up a bit. I have made friends in regular life with a couple people that I met online but you have to be careful.

I went to one of the Coleman mines before. Did pretty good there, but I like a place in Mt Ida even more.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
You are right, they are! I'll fix that. I guess I'm really interested in what people are growing! :lol:
Maybe a difference between the garden and the basement? :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I still wish folks would write more in normal threads, with a clear subject line, I don't have the time to get into everyone's journals, and I just know I'm missing some good stuff.

I prefer things in their own little threads - that can be easily found and read, just a few pages instead of wading through hundreds of journal pages to find info or read news...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
savingdogs said:
Huh? I don't understand this comment.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
savingdogs said:
FarmerJamie said:
savingdogs said:
Huh? I don't understand this comment.
Either somebody is starting seeds for spring planting -or- growing something they can't talk about too openly.