NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Less than 2 weeks. I've heard some hold on to the colostrum taste that long? Oddly, it started smelling off (or I noticed anyway) when I pasteurized it so I am leaning towards temperature issues.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even try the milk til it's been two weeks....not even sure why, lol. I don't pasteurize so I have no advice... Do you pasteurize it before you cool it or the other way around?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cool it first. I kind of forgot it hadn't been 2 weeks yet, lol. I didn't plan to milk her but she was looking cooperative and I had DH's help so i went for it.

We made chocolate pudding with it. Tasted like chocolate pudding. Haha!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, there ya go! Chocolate pudding can fix anything, lol!
:drool
In fact, that reminds me that I need to try to make some pudding or custard or something with all my milk and eggs.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My mom got hold of some (cow) colostrum once. She boiled it and drained off the excess water, ending up with something like white scrambled eggs. I didn't like it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm a slacker, I haven't been milking! Since I have babies out there I can get away with it. DH and I got sick, now baby is sick and hopefully she'll be on the upward swing tomorrow, and I'll separate tomorrow night and get back to it.

Patty's babies should be weaned before long, her buckling turned wether is going to live with his dad for a while! I'm hoping Lilly will sell with her kids and I won't have to mess with her.

I can start separating Mimosa and Bellini's kids overnight too before long. Maybe another week, a couple are kinda small. Mimosa's buckling seems to be doing better, and I saw him eating hay yesterday too!

The goat market is horrible around here except for meat. Such a pain when I have, what, 6 kids and a doe to sell!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dramatic change of goat plans. I swear I'm not crazy, lol. Ok maybe I am...

We lost Mimosa's bucking tonight. I think there was something wrong with him from the start and maybe that's why she didn't like him? I don't know, I was making sure he was eating but he still passed. We've never lost a goat here so I am feeling particularly awful right now.

I'll post more about my plans tomorrow. Right now I'm exhausted and sad.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh noooooo.... so sorry! :hugs It does happen and I hate it when it does. There are definitely "failure to thrive" babies and mama's usually know it. Looks like Mimosa knew there was something not right with him. Please don't beat yourself up over it.

Change of plans might be a great thing - can't wait to hear all about it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate goats right now. They're uncooperative, my machine is not working properly, ugh!!!

Sheep sound awful good right now, lol!

But seriously I am rethinking my decision on who to keep. Sigh.