Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Ever had one of those farm moments that regular folk just wouldnt understand? Well, heres one for you. I started telling this over on the turkey board but it was just kinda funny so I thought Id share.

We have this little Bourbon Red turkey hen named, Runner. If she hadnt tried so hard to set a nest this year she surely would have ended up in the pot by now. In a word, she is ridiculous. Aptly named, she runs. Everywhere. And she is loud. At some point during this summer she was the only one of our 3 hens not on a nest or brooding a clutch. So in her loneliness she screamed for 3 weeks straight.

She is also a raccoon magnet. Seriously. Twice after she actually sat down on a nest she was attacked by raccoons. Those varmints are no longer with us I assure you, rest their souls. And thanks to guns that go boom and paradoxically traps named have a heart. Hum

Anyway on her fourth try to set a nest, and after the second raccoon attack, we barricaded her into the Fort Knox of all turkey nest boxes and. Nothing. All her eggs died or were killed. We finally took her up, washed her off, and tried to recuperate her as best we could. It didnt go well.

Even tho she was separated from the flock they managed to grab her thru the fence and beat her up. Carrying her to safety, bloodied and sulking as she was, I realized that I had broken our cardinal farming rule and I fell in love with her. She tried so hard to hatch a clutch and was really a trouper. I put her up in a broody coop alone and said good nite.

The next morning I went out to check on her and to my horror I thought she had been attacked! She was mostly bald and there were feathers everywhere. To make it worse, it was one of our colder nights and she was standing alone, on one foot, shivering. That poor little dear. I quickly determined that she was not attacked but her feathers were falling out in handfuls. Not gradually like molting but falling off her like leaves.

So I did the only rational thing I could think of. I scooped her up and ran into the house.

You can imagine The Big Mans surprise, however, when I burst into his bathroom, threw open his shower door, and shook that poor little hen at him and said, (well kinda screamed):

OHMIGOSH LOOK AT POOR RUNNER WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!??!??!?

I can only guess what he was thinking when, thru soaped up, squinting eyes, he saw me standing there in muddy barn boots, barn wear, and shaking a quickly de-feathering turkey hen at him.

He calmly advised me to please close his shower door and he would join us in a minute.

Im telling you there is never a dull moment. And not really a good way to try and explain this to someone off farm but there you have it.

Runner, by the way, seems to be doing better today. I put her in a coop alone with the chickens (its warmer) and am giving her a lot of high protein food. Tomorrow Ill let her pop around and get a good dust bath.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:lol: :yuckyuck :lol:

Oh my gosh, girl, you're killing me! I can just imagine him looking at you like you have lost your mind! Poor thing, I wonder what is happening with her? Stress maybe?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
the only thing that boggles my mind is that i DONT surprise him anymore... good thing for me that man is completely unflappable.

i think its stress. this is no normal molt. she used to be the top hen and now, after such a long separation and no babies, she is on the outs. we are trying to get her back in with the tribe.. but i think i'll just keep her with the chickens for a while.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

Isn't it AMAZING what our hubbys put up with in the name of love!

We kept a hen in the bathtub for a week once. It ended up taken in stride. He would just say ... I need a shower and one of the kids would go box up the hen and clean the tub for him.

It is also amazing how they change. Hubby a non-farmer came home one day talking about a big discussion he had a work about coggins testing! I did not even know he knew what it was called and yet he was "preaching" to his co-workers about how important it was to test their horses and not bring un-tested horses onto their pasture. :ep

Another time he had a long co-worker chat about good perennials!

I think I'll keep him.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Tooo funny....I can imangine what my hubby would do if I ran in on him like that! LOL Im thinking he would duct tape me to a chair and explain..do NOT freak me out, when I am in the shower! :gig
I sure hope your hen makes it through. Stress is tough on a bird. Maybe try some rescue remedy?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
EXCELLENT story! :lol: :lol: :gig

The imagery was wonderful! Poor Runner! Can you make a little sweater set for her until her feathers come back? :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee i thought about a little sweater hee hee hee

oh geez she looks worse but was happier today. i put a heat lamp in one of the coops and she roosted near it all day. we'll keep a heat lamp on her her tonite...can you believe how cold it is today!??!?!

she's basically down to just a little collar of feathers around her neck, no tail, no belly feathers...

but

really she seems better. Steve (the turkey guy) recommended giving her some cat food. luckily we just happened to have some on hand (i'm writing this with no fewer than 3 house cats hanging off me)....

:)

and yeah.. The Big Man is a saint..... altho he did say that Runner was more than half plucked already....
;-)

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hee hee hee i thought about a little sweater hee hee hee

oh geez she looks worse but was happier today. i put a heat lamp in one of the coops and she roosted near it all day. we'll keep a heat lamp on her her tonite...can you believe how cold it is today!??!?!

she's basically down to just a little collar of feathers around her neck, no tail, no belly feathers...

but

really she seems better. Steve (the turkey guy) recommended giving her some cat food. luckily we just happened to have some on hand (i'm writing this with no fewer than 3 house cats hanging off me)....

:)

and yeah.. The Big Man is a saint..... altho he did say that Runner was more than half plucked already....
;-)
Steve the turkey guy???? Are you calling me a turkey now? :p

Steve

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ahem... i MEANT

Steve, the all knowing, all powerful king of turkeydom!!!!

nope not that... how about:

Steve the king of turkeys?

no thats not right either....

Steve, master of turkeys, knower of everything, and all around poultry king!!!

hows that
;-)

Latest posts