Out with the Old, In with the New

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meat chickens make it easy to grow a lot of meat in a short time. At what age/size do you butcher? I'd let them go to 2 1/2 months and got some Goliath Giant chickens! I always part them out, saves space in the freezer and with a 6 to 7 1/2 pound whole carcass, that's a lot of meat!

Funny: I took a whole frozen chicken to my sister's house when I picked up granddaughters at Easter. Went back for Easter Sunday, my DD had started the chicken. She was grossed out that she had to touch it and gave me the whole story on the terrible things she had to do in order to cook it. :lol::lol: My sister thought it was gross too, she only buys whole chickens already cooked. I laughed at them.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I process them at 8 weeks normally, but this time its going to be 10 weeks because the processor was booked up til then. Seems alot of people have the same idea. Two and a half months is too long for me. Im ready to get rid of them at 8 weeks! 🤣
Thats funny about the frozen chicken. Growing up we always bought chicken at the store and prepared it at home. She would totally be grossed out if she had to do it start to finish like we do..... raising, process yourself if you have to or have time.....cut it up, vaccum seal, freeze.....she'd probably never eat chicken again. 😂

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought you’d get a good laugh out of that. My DD is my Mom made over. My Mom often wondered aloud just WHERE did come from! Hahaha

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Meat chickens make it easy to grow a lot of meat in a short time. At what age/size do you butcher? I'd let them go to 2 1/2 months and got some Goliath Giant chickens! I always part them out, saves space in the freezer and with a 6 to 7 1/2 pound whole carcass, that's a lot of meat!

Funny: I took a whole frozen chicken to my sister's house when I picked up granddaughters at Easter. Went back for Easter Sunday, my DD had started the chicken. She was grossed out that she had to touch it and gave me the whole story on the terrible things she had to do in order to cook it. :lol::lol: My sister thought it was gross too, she only buys whole chickens already cooked. I laughed at them.
Wait... what did she have to do?

She hadn't ever touched a dead chicken before? Or had you forgotten to gut it?

:idunno

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some are lucky to have a processor...many of us don't. And it's the worse part.🤫😬

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Was off yesterday and today. Doing R6 tomorrow, R11 Thurs, and R2 Friday. I know Sat I'll be doing R11 since its Johns day off, and Amazon on Sunday. Yippee.
Got alot done, though, around the house yesterday.
Mom is coming over in a little while and we are running up to the Amish store because she wants to get some oats to store up.
Sunday she came over and we put up the cattle panels for the tomatoes and planted some pepper plants, too.
Got two 3.5 gallon waterers for the meat chickens that were on sale at TSC. The little 5 qrt ones I was using didnt last long for them, especially if it was hot out. These should last a little longer.
Mowed the yard yesterday but still need to weedeat. Maybe later. I hate weedeating.
Still need to weed out the flower garden and plant stuff. Went to Lowe's to get those big bags of dirt since it needs some new dirt but all they had were the small bags. Will check back later.
Need to fill up the gas cans and check the 55 gallon can to see how low it is from mowing. Going to try to keep it filled because of the prices and possible looming shortages. Its the ethanol free kind. I only use that for my mowers and weedeater, and generators. Its also for the car in an emergency.
Hopefully, it wont come to that.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-125216_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-125216_Facebook.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 112