Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
The new place sounds nice! The first house I ever rented had one of those ancient oil heaters in the middle of the living room. It was the size of a smart car :p You had to throw a piece of lit toilet paper into it to light it...scary. I finally just got a small electric fan heater with a thermostat for the bedroom and let the rest of the house be cold. Too much trouble and odor.

I have never dealt with a bank owned property but it sounds like you are taking all the necessary precautions. 6 acres sounds wonderful too!!! You'll have to introduce yourself to the neighbors when you go look at it, make sure they are tolerable :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ooh, another house to look at already? Waiting to hear what it really looks like! It sounds great.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah this one is a gas heater its not as big as a car but close, and in the oddest position, its actually in the little "formal diningroom" next to the kitchen and theres only a small doorway form there to the rest of the house, so i cant see it having very good circulation in its current position.

but its a logical spot i guess because the house is small so...in some ways it does make sense, id like ot eventually change it out for something more like
http://www.factorydirectfireplaces....heritage-direct-vent-cast-iron-gas-stove.html

and open up the wall between the "formal dining room" and the livingroom so the fireplace can circulate much better between the kitchen/living/dining rooms. theres a little wall heater on the wall between 2 of the bedrooms that should heat both if not all 3 bedrooms and bathroom (id have to check the btu's) its not a pretty unit but for suplimental heat for the bedrooms itll work just peachy :) though that will probably also get swapped out for something much more energy efficient (a newer unit)

some good nes is the property was not winterized, the electric is on as is the water from what my agent is telling me, so theres some extra money i wouldnt have to find for the inspection portion of it all...

oh and one thing i didnt realize was theres an additional room at the back, off the kitchen where the water heater is, thats PERFECT for turning into a big pantry/stash room :D i can easily fit a couple of chest frezers, some cabinates and lots of shelving in there as well as the kitty litter box (no more doggy snacking ewwwww lol)

a guestimate on a new roof will be about $5000 depending on what materials i want, itll either be asphalt shingle or metal, im not sure which yet, i like the sounds of a metal roof (and the sounds it makes when it rains) but even at $5000 if i cna get the house for their askng price it woudl still put it atunder the cost as is of the lutts house.

gonna call my agent in about 15 mins (there an hour behind and i dont want to disturb her saturday morning too early lol) and get an offer written up.

im still wondering though if its worth asking full asking price and seller contributes to closing...or if i should just suck it up and offer full price with no seller contribution to closing...
its only been on the market a few days, and im not that familiar with how willing banks are to play nice with seller contributions so im going to ask my agent and see what she thinks.
even with no seller contributons this house could be a serious steal!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I don't even understand the terminology of real estate lol. So couldn't even begin to guess at that.

But I wanna see pics!!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well my agent is writing up the offer as we speak, shes going to get it in this morning and hopefully we wont have to get into a bidding war, i think im willing to go up a little on this one if i have to, but not by much with it needng a new roof fairly quickly.

so lets keep those fingers crossed, if the bank accepts the offer ill be heading down via vehicular transportation probably leave tuesday lunch time (i have an apointment tues morn that cannot be changed) which would mean id be there probbaly thursday...

the offer is contingent upon me getting there to see the house so i dont want to keep them waiting too long for me to get there and being its an 18 hour drive...im going to have to take a few days just getting there...

they may not accept the offer yet though...so we'll see.

this MAY be my future home
saltillohouseplot.jpg

(red is the property line)

and the house from its little semi circle driveway
saltillofront.jpg

ill get some more up later...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I didn't know parrots liked rose hips. Learn something new every day.

I know what you mean about having trouble finding unsweetened fruit. Abi and I have trouble finding stuff for ourselves all the time. Vitamin Cottage seems to be the only place we can get unsweetened dried cherries.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
oooooooooo....that's cute, and the property looks good too! Nice mix of woods and open land.... :fl

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow, great looking place!you are putting in an offer but haven't even seen it? Brave brave brave :clap

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know, a little scary right?!

the offer itself is contingent on me actually seeing the property...
essentially if they accept my offer ive got a "hold" on the property (they can take back up offers, but cannot accept another offer higher than mine if they accept it) untill i can get there, at which point if i dont give them a deifnate answer by the 25th they can say "were not waiting" and take another offer if there is one...so its saftey for me, i can back out with no issues if i get there and its a dive...but also saftey for them that if i dont give them a definitive answer by the date on the contract they can forget my offer and take another if thye want.

we also added a couple other contingencies in there, the major one is contingent upon inspection...i want to know exactly how long ive got left on the roof ect...

we also added contingent on bank giving us a clear title and make sure ALL leins have been removed form the property (one of the problems with buyign a forclosure is if the previous owner borrowed on the house, if those arnt cleared prior to sale they become the new owners repsonsibility...what kind of deal is that?! that would be illegal in other countries...

so i placed the offer, i offered HIGHER than asking price with the stipulation that the seller pays all closing costs.

essentially the offer made is their asking price plus estimated closing costs, and the bank that owns the property would then cut the check for the amount of closing on signing day to my bank to pay the closing fees...
which means i buy the house for their asking price and finance the closing costs into my mortgage...

so now its just crossed fingers and waiting, probably wont hear anything untill monday...

im prepping for a last minute trip to go see it in person so i can leave as soon as possible after i get a "they accepted the offer"

earliest i can leave is tuesday afternoon, so tomorrow im going to pack a little bag and get the camping stuff handy and clean out my car. monday ill take her in for an oil change and quick once over, and then im ready to just toss my stuff in the back and head out as soon as im done with the apointment on tuesday morning.
got to put together a list of truck stops and campgrounds along the way, and make a few calls to make sure i dont need any special pass or anything to camp...(planning on camping mostly primitive to save costs)

heads spinning just thinking about it...never been on a road trip before.

lol on the hose hips...
they dont like them fresh...but dried they have that sweet spicy thing going on and parrots LOVE spicey...
one of jack jacks favorites is dried chillie peppers, hotter the better...then he comes and gives me a kiss, wth his spicey beak...i dont do spicey at all...lol
i think he jus tlikes to see the look on my face when i realize my lips are burning off!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well no word from the bank agent so itll be monday now before we hear if the offer is accepted...
stupid waiting! :p

so how would you lay out 6 acres? lol