price increases again...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
An old farmer once told me that you can lead a horse to water and he may not drink it...but you can sure salt his feed down enough to make him thirsty! :D I've done a little trick on my kids before about their "fave" brand of cereal. I'd save the original box and replace the contents with the cheaper brand and let them eat it for awhile before telling them.

It worked.

Could work on your Hubby....and you need never even tell him that you made the switch! Just keep filling his cereal box with the homemade mix...sometimes it's all in their head! :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Betta, I don't make granola; I make a sort of Muesli, which doesn't have any oil in it. But I think I remember reading a granola recipe that used coconut oil; I bet that would taste great, and it is more healthful than veg. oil (more expensive too, but I have found that a little goes a long way.) (And if you decide not to eat it all it makes a really nice face moisturizer :lol:; I rub a little on at night, so I don't smell like a macaroon all day ;))
Yeah, coconut oil is super--I use it to condition the ends of my hair when it needs it, and also on my winter-dry hands. And I use it in granola too :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
moolie said:
I make my granola in my crock pot--never burns that way :)

Just prop the lid open with a spoon or something to let the steam out, and stir it from time to time. The heating element in a crock pot runs around the outside, so watch your hot spot if your crock pot has one (mine is at the back).
Great idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no, I can't copycat Kashi Cocoa Beach. It is just not a blend that is anywhere else. It is so hard to find also. Since he makes a great income I can let him have the Kashi. A few bucks won't kill me (just yet :p)

I sure can do that on a few brands in the home tho, and I do.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I checked Walmart, and I was wrong... The mozz is 2lb bags and they're almost $8. The 5lb bag for $10.88 leaves a much better aftertaste in my wallet. :) Plus, I bought a 6lb 10oz can of pizza sauce for less than $4. The 8oz cans are $0.99, so that was a really good deal. Now, once I find a good breading recipe, I can do chicken parm and obviously pizza. :D And, I was using 2lbs of mozz cheese on a cookie sheet sized pizza, not 5lbs.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I checked Walmart, and I was wrong... The mozz is 2lb bags and they're almost $8. The 5lb bag for $10.88 leaves a much better aftertaste in my wallet. :) Plus, I bought a 6lb 10oz can of pizza sauce for less than $4. The 8oz cans are $0.99, so that was a really good deal. Now, once I find a good breading recipe, I can do chicken parm and obviously pizza. :D And, I was using 2lbs of mozz cheese on a cookie sheet sized pizza, not 5lbs.
I have a superb pizza sauce recipe, if you likey?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Breading recipe is easy. Just toast some already going stale bread, crumble it up really well, and add a teaspoon of each of these: salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, chopped chives, and celery seed. I make that stuff all the time, and it's great. If you want more of an italian breadcrumbs taste, add some oregano to the mix. I use it for poppers, casseroles, and have used it for chicken as well. It's pretty multi purpose.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would still try to see if he would eat it ;) I think I will try this recipe!

Kashi Chocolate Coconut Granola
Submitted by: S318830

I fell in love with the Kashi Coco Beach granola last year, but no one is carrying it where I live anymore. It was also pretty expensive for a small package, and had 9 grams of fat per 1/2 cup serving. So this recipe is my attempt to recreate a yummy chocolate coconut granola and knock down some of the fat at the same time. The calories in this version are just below the original (224 vs. 230), but the fat was reduced from 9g to 3g without losing any of the protein (both have 6g of protein)!
Minutes to Prepare: 10
Minutes to Cook: 60
Number of Servings: 18

Ingredients

5 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (not quick cook)
3 cups Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs Cereal
1 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
2 Tbsp Coconut Extract (or any other extract)
1 tsp salt (used to enhance chocolate flavor)

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and move rack to second position from the bottom.
In a large bowl, combine oatmeal and Kashi cereal. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly combine brown sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Pour dry ingredients into cereal mixture and stir until all cereal has been mixed with chocolate. In the small bowl, combine maple syrup and extract. Slowly pour maple syrup over the cereal while stirring. Stir until there is no powdered cocoa left and all cereal is evenly coated with chocolate.
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread the granola evenly over the baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 60 mins stirring occasionally to evenly bake the granola.
Let the granola cool completely and then store in an airtight jar or container. A serving is half a cup of granola.

Number of Servings: 18

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, please BB! I sometimes make it with italian seasoning and some other random junk, but I always end up making it too spicy for my "lightweights" (George and Tripp), lol.

WBF, thank you very much! I'll have to get onion and garlic powder, but I'm almost positive I can get them for $0.50 per bottle. I only have the diced/flaked version for onion and only chives and fresh garlic for taste, lol. My spice cabinet is choking itself out and somehow I have managed to NOT have onion and garlic powder, lol.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
...I was using 2lbs of mozz cheese on a cookie sheet sized pizza, not 5lbs.
Wow. That's about 900 grams of cheese per pizza! :ep

We split one 450 gram mozzarella between two cookie sheet pizzas. So, like 1/4 your amount per pizza. I can't imagine that much cheese, how would the crust cook properly?

:hu Maybe we're weird though--I'm mildly lactose-intolerant, and my younger daughter only likes cheese in small amounts--although my older daughter is a cheese-eating monster (think Cookie Monster, but with cheese) but even she is happy with our pizza.

We make our pizza with a nice not-too-thick/not-too-thin crust, a zingy sauce sprinkled with herbs, thinly sliced farmer's sausage, whatever veggies are in the fridge, and a light layer of cheese. For the four of us, we make two cookie sheets--we eat one, and let the other cool and pop the squares into the fridge for cold pizza lunch the next day.