SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cut rhubarb stems low on plant, cut off leaves and dispose of leaves where animals can not get to them (said to be poison if injested). I cut the stalks into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces, place in sauce pan with small amount of water and sugar to taste and cook over medium heat. The rhubarb will break apart and become sauce like. It thickens as it cooks depending on the amount of water you add. Serve as a dish by itself or it's great over ice cream. The amount of sugar depends on how sweet you like it, everyone seems to have a different opinion. I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements, I learned to cook this from my Grandmother and she cooked from memory. The recipe for pie can be found in cookbooks or on the internet. There are also recipes for rhubarb jam and strawberry-rhubarb jam in many cookbooks.:love

Omran

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't wait any longer :lol: it is soooooo cold and wet, may be I can turnthe ground in 2 weeks.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No pics yet, but bought 200# of seed potatoes - red pontiacs (100#), kennebecs (50#), and yukon gold (50#). That's our real moneymaker at the farmers' market.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
KC that's some serious potatoes.

I started some seedlings in my laundry room toady. Who knew Huckleberry seeds were soooooooooooo tiny. I cant wait to see them sprout. I also planted some Choke Cherry. Both are heirloom from Bakersville. I don't have any berries on my hill yet. Hoping these will fill the void.

I planted two of my beds a couple weeks ago. Some cabbage transplants from my neighbor. Spinach, lettuces, beets, carrots and a couple other things.

I hope it starts to warm up soon.

gina

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ack. All these nice warm looking pictures. And green! We are snow and/or mud still. I don't even dare start plants indoors yet- I start too early every year and are taken over with leggy poorly grown plants long before time to go outside.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
valmom said:
Ack. All these nice warm looking pictures. And green! We are snow and/or mud still. I don't even dare start plants indoors yet- I start too early every year and are taken over with leggy poorly grown plants long before time to go outside.
I am not alone!!! :hugs :)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Well, mine is not nearly as beautiful as that one...gosh, I just love that snow...but then again I don't have to live in it, right? that's what I generally hear when i say I love it !

I have done a bit of lasagnanating on the beds. Both have cardboard and leaves, one has manure, peat and compost, one set of layers, and will have a second set today. I will also do a set of layers on the second bed if I hold up ! waiting for the rest of the fog to lift.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Ldychef2k/Picture480.jpg

The lettuce is almost gone. Gave it away because I just grew it to gain confidence. I don't like lettuce. The broccoli is too crowded and the heads are small. The gaps are thanks to the long gone gopher. The brussels sprouts in the background are going nuts, and I am just thrilled.

5 gallon buckets contain potatoes. Twin gray tubs contain onion sets.

Heavy rain predicted this week, so no planting in the beds for a while. Good headstart on the decomposition of the leaves anyway. May plant raspberries and blackberries though. They are ready to go in to some small beds on either side of the twin tubs, which rest on a small concrete slab.

I am just stunned that the peas, which are planted in coffee containers, have so many blossoms and pods forming. It's going to be a great crop!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Ldychef2k/Picture481.jpg
Nice beds

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Mine's just a big old mess of mud!
Ditto, but I ordered seeds!
I'm definitely going to try potatoes the MP way this year. Thanks for reposting the video!