SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice pics everyone,

No field to till this year so I'm concentrating around the house

cedar logs

front garden

experimenting with tires this year

partially shaded "forest garden" in progress

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, I shot a picture of my "garden" this morning out the window. :gig I am so jealous sometimes of people who live in warmer climates. It is sleeting right now so hard I can hear it on the roof.

That little fenced in square down by the barn is my protected garden for hot peppers, tomatoes, onions, kale- stuff like that. I have another probably twice that size for my squashes.

Here is another shot of it I found from last summer- totally overgrown with tomatoes and kale. In the foreground of the shot. It looks so warm in that picture!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
johnElarue said:
Nice pics everyone,

No field to till this year so I'm concentrating around the house

[url]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7290/logs2.th.jpg[/url]
cedar logs

[url]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7126/gardenr.th.jpg[/url]
front garden

[url]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2533/tiresplastic.th.jpg[/url]
experimenting with tires this year

[url]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3074/foresttires20100308.th.jpg[/url]
partially shaded "forest garden" in progress
You raised beds are REALLY neat! Love the cedar logs, and (is it?) wicker or woven bed--very neat! :D

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
You raised beds are REALLY neat! Love the cedar logs, and (is it?) wicker or woven bed--very neat! :D
Thanks, the black ovals are heavy duty plastic, rice paddy borders.
The tires are on tatami mats to suppress bamboo grass, a nasty invasive weed.

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ours is not in yet but as you see my daughter is very excited. LOL this is were my husband cought ours and our neighbors field on fire burning boxes after we moved in. You can still see the tire tracts from the fire truck.:D So I decided this will be our spot.

1528_cimg2626.jpg

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes I thought we would be run out of town. Or pay a pretty price to replace what we had burned down. luckly the neighbor just lets someone come and get it and was hoping it would burn the rest of the way before the fire truck had time to put it out. It was quite funny I had to convince my children that the truck (that looked like a pick up with a hose) was a real fire truck and the one tiny lady getting out of it was a fireman. lol. Another towns truck came to help and ran out of water.

And yes the dog is sitting watching her work lol.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, we don't have a garden yet, but this is what our backyard looked like 2 weeks ago. Now it has melted and I can see where I want to put everything. Alot of bedrock back there, but we will figure it out...or we'll put a big vegie garden in the front yard!

5a55jd.jpg

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, still no pictures, but we've been working. DH has put together 4 more raised beds and is working on a 5th. I've been putting in a bed beside our house for more herbs. My SIL brought me a huge rubarb plant and we divided into 4 plants and that's been planted. In 3 of the raised beds we've planted onions, lettuce, and spinach. The 4th will be carrots and probably radishes or beets in the 5th one.

Today, DH decided to beat the rain and tilled up the largest garden spot. We planted 9 rows of potatoes (aprox. 60#s of the 200#s we have bought. The dark drove us back inside.

I'm too pooped to pop, as my daddy always said.