Suing McDonalds

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
abifae said:
i was lucky. my father understood the extremes of my logic. lol. he always gave why. and if that why was "i'm exhausted and if you piss me off i'm gonna beat the tar outta you"... well that's pretty clear! but normally there was a simple logic. "we're in public and you are ruining other people's enjoyment and you will therefore be removed". since we rarely went out, sitting in the car while the family ate in a restaurant and knowing you got bread and water at home was a GOOD threat. LOL.

growing up poor is healthier than growing up with too much. you learn what's important and how to plot.
Did I raise you Abifae? So many kids I guess I forget. :p

Actually my hubby was the explainer. He was determined that a kid should always know the why and they were given the LONG answer to any question they ever had. For example, "Why is the grass green?" Would probably lead to a week long discussion and study about chlorophyll! :lol: Actually when you treat a kid like they have a brain and explain why a certain behavior is NOT OK they often surprise you. Sure there were a few, "Because I am tired of it"'s and some "Because I said so"'s, but very few.

We had a family style sit down restaurant near us when the kids were small called "Po Folks". Adult meals were reasonable and kid meals were only 99 cents! It was one restaurant we could sometimes afford with 3 kids under 8 years old. The restaurant was situated with big windows overlooking the parking lot.

One time we were seated in a booth and could look out the restaurant window at our car which was parked just outside. On this particular day my kid was deciding to try out some public disobedience and being a real brat. Hubby gave a warning and then followed through by taking her to the car. She went into her car seat and the doors were locked (window down on a cool day - she did live through childhood). He then went in sat down and WE finished our dinner in the restaurant while SHE sat in the car and watched us eat. AND NO she did not get a meal that time either. She lost that opportunity. That is a natural logical consequence. If you are unable to eat at the restaurant because of your behavior - you miss that meal. You won't starve to death. We DO eat several meals each day.

Today I am sure we would have been arrested for child endangerment! After that one of us would go in to the restaurant with the kids and get the seat while the other parked the car by the window. Each kid ended up making one trip to the car. After that we could take them ANYWHERE to eat and they always got compliments on their manners. :cool:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
quote: but the group believes the toys in Happy Meals violate state consumer protection laws in Massachusetts, Texas, the District of Columbia, New Jersey and California.

"Violate consumer protection laws" yikes

I am sure then that "all u can eat" buffets are next on the line. marketing just "begging" people to eat all u can and make ya fat

this is just ridiculous

I got everything I wanted as a kid and barely ever spanked....yea mom chased us with a dish towel swinging but she could never catch us and thankfully she had a low key temper lol We kids turned out great cause the law was laid down on values, manners, etc.

but we were raised with no means no we knew when we pushed and got the NO so many times it just wasn't happening so we stopped lol

I am the same with my kid I know when to say no and she understands that sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't

A happy meal, sure when traveling on the road and we are desperate for somewhere to stop and eat but other than that----most parents use McDs and other places are their "sources" of daily food.....that is where the problem lies truly. Parents gotta stop the constant crapp food intake for their families.

If you are the type of parent that controls their families intake of junk foods and fast foods, then u are the type that "wouldn't" think a happy meal plastic toy is any kind of draw for ur children.

Nicole loves the toy when we go to McDs.....is it required in her life....NOPE LOL and happy meals do come with choices of healthier options like apple fries, apple juice to drink etc etc. Does most parents get that for their kids, nope, they get the fries lol

oh well someone gotta sue someone for something all the time

crazy world and won't be changing any time soon lol

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First off, I just want to applaud the parents on here that take responsibility for their children's upbringing. We might not all agree on the specifics, but consistency and loving discipline are the basis, not whether you spank. Some kids don't need spankings to keep them in line (I've met a few, not my two...), the disapproval of the parents is enough to break their heart.

BBH, I LOVE that paddle, too funny.

I agree that exercising your childrens' brains with logic is best. There can be no learning if you don't tell them why XXXX is happening. If you explain it, in terms they understand they will indeed often surprise you. Even a 2 year old can understand "This is not a toy, it will break." or "If you put the cat in the toilet, I am going to spank you." :lol:

Farmerchick, here in Mississippi there was talk of a law prohibiting restaurants from serving obese people. Serious talk.

By moves like these we move ever closer to having every facet of our lives put in the hands of those who supposedly know better than the common man.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I give my (3 yr old) son ... almost everything he asks for!

:hide

:gig

But that is because he is so well trained to be polite! If he asks nicely - he'll probably get it. He hasn't asked for anything unreasonable yet.

He never forgets his pleases and thank yous. And he asks in a non-demanding way. :lol: When I was his age, I would say "please gimme..." and "No - dont'!" My little man says "May I please have .... " and "I would rather do it myself"

:love

If my kid wants McDonald's, he will get it. Assuming he follows my rules.

I agree with everyone else - McDonald's is overpriced, low-quality "food." And most parents suck. But my kid - he's awesome and he gets everything he wants - BECAUSE I have taken time to teach and train him to behave, complete with consequences.

:bun I love my kid. He keeps me spoiled. :) :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Speaking about those stupid happy meal toys, my MIL knows I don't do McD's... she lives far away from us otherwise no doubt she'd take the kids there.
Anyhoo - what she does is, through the months when she's not here, she will keep going to McD's and getting happy meals for herself, and save up all the toys to give to my kids! :th :he :rant

We all went to a vacation spot a while ago, and there we met with a bag of friggin happy meal toys. They didn't come home with us, I just threw them away when I packed our stuff.

What a dang waste! She just doesn't get it! :somad

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We use behavior modification techniques at the school where I work. I work with little kids that have primarily Autism, but other disorders as well. Our kids have a work schedule each day with their assignments represented by an icon. As they get each assignment completed they are rewarded for their work, usually by some sort of play activity, like time on the tricycle or swing etc.. Sometimes they have longer term goals like "staying in the green" (not having a tantrum) for a certain number of days. Times like that we need bigger rewards.

Several of the teachers in our building save those McDonald's toys that their kids get or even bring us the older toys their kids are done with. Our kids LOVE to work for a chance to choose one of those toys from our reward box. Just in case you ever have a sack of those toys again ... maybe you could donate them to the Special Ed program at your school. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW Noobie u said serious talk about not serving obese people

and they want that as a law

OMG

unreal never heard of that one before and can ya imagine the lawsuits from that decisiion lol plus most restaurants would go out of business overnight some have obese clientele that keep their doors open for biz lol

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Did you know kids quit nagging if they realize your no means no?

lol

This attitude of parents is why I despise children. They're nasty little poops because their parents don't know how to set limits and then they turn into the adults I most despise, thinking they are entitled to whatever they want, not understanding the world has consequences, and doing stupid poop like suing McDonald's over happy meal toys.
:smack
...Which is why they end up in my class wearing stripes!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What!I'm the only one that gets apples and milk with thier kids happy meal? What next sue the icecream man for selling dora and spongebob icecream.When we eat fast food we get the kids just burgers,they can have a snack at home.