Sustainable Firstfruit's "Black Bean Chocolate Cake"

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not :p

So first was a flop, I didn't add salt (beans were salted in the can, except I rinsed them, duh!) And I put it in a shallow pan...and burnt it. Bah.

Tonight I added rock salt, coarse, and carob instead of cocoa. Its still super sweet, is that because my honey is 'flavored'? Its Sage honey and wildflower, raw, unfiltered and local. And I loathe stevia/splenda/etc, so no substituitions :( Do you think cacao powder would give me less sweetness?

Thanks!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I finally made it. We both loved it. I served it with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. SO thought it was weird that I used the black beans and no flour, but he has been eating it every night. He never heard of gluten free. I had to explain it to him.
I'll be passing this recipe on to my friends with fibromyalgia, I know they'll appreciate it.

MsPony, using cocoa powder makes it less sweet and very nice and chocolaty.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MsPony, just cut the honey in half and see how you like it. My family didn't complain when I made three in a row to experiment! :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just made another one for my daughter to have for breakfast this week. (I had a tiny piece just now to make sure it came out okay...it did! :p )

She loves it with more raw honey drizzled over the top.

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love this cake! It's better than any homemade cake I ever made. It is so moist.

Thank you so much for the recipe Bubblingbrooks and my buddy BBH.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aight, I plan on copying this recipe and making it at some point. If I had known about it earlier today I would have set the beans to soaking and had Cj bring home the liquid whey. But, this also came at a bad time! I'm currently cutting out my chocolate/sugar intake! *sigh* but, I do plan on making this sometime soon!!
And I think the white bean and lemon would be good too!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a variation with white beans and lemon? Would you share the revised recipe?