trying to help DH pull out a tooth so the dentist doesn't have to

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My oldest friend claims that super glue to a cut thing.
About 2 years ago, his wife called me frantic and I needed her to repeat herself because of her hysterics and eventually asked her to put him on the phone to get the story straight. Well apparently he cut himself bad and it needed attention. He refused to go to the hospital, so I asked him if he wanted me to look at it, which he did. I forgot how many stitches I put in him.....about 10. It was my first and only time sewing a human. When he showed up, he had super glue in the cut that his mom had put.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't encourage this kinda thing, but I'm glad for the experience it gave me and to have helped with the problem. If we have a bad enough storm here, I might be putting stitches in a lot of my relatives and neighbors, but for the most part, I would prefer them to go to the ER. I just don't trust everyone to do that procedure to them. People too sue crazy.
I have pulled out a few stitches though. I did it with MDs permission. A relative or friend would ask if a nurse friend of theirs could remove and he/she would say yes. Anyone can do that though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When my youngest was about 2-3 yrs old he fell in the baby pool and opened a deep gash under his chin. As a nurse, I could tell it needed sutures and would probably require about 3 to do the job.

Well...we were at the pool, no one really wanted to drive two hours to the ER and go through all that....least of all me. So I just held the edges together and placed a nice tight band-aid to the place~like a steri-strip~ and it sealed right up by the next day. I bet the chlorine really helped! :p He still has a scar there.

RB, you didn't horrify me....but I'm a sissy where my teeth are concerned. :D

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why am I not surprised that you are also a nurse? I like to always keep steri-strips on hand. I don't think I can horrify you.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't horrified either, just concerned.
Bee-kissed: You are right! I never thought of that! This lady already had some health problems (she was morbidly obese) which probably had something to do with it.

I've had the same thing happen to me with the dentist. One told me almost ten years ago that I had a cavity which could maybe be filled soon, and I've been to a dentist and had x-rays twice since, and no cavity was ever mentioned.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Oh I wasn't horrified either, just concerned.
Bee-kissed: You are right! I never thought of that! This lady already had some health problems (she was morbidly obese) which probably had something to do with it.

I've had the same thing happen to me with the dentist. One told me almost ten years ago that I had a cavity which could maybe be filled soon, and I've been to a dentist and had x-rays twice since, and no cavity was ever mentioned.
Cavities can be healed/reversed ;) with correct nutrition that is.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
txhomegrown said:
Here is a very basic guide for pulling teeth.

http://www.animated-teeth.com/tooth_extractions/t4_oral_surgery.htm

Once I learned how it worked, I have pulled 3 of mine. I used Pain pills instead of scotch. I have also stitched my own wounds.
You learn to do what you need to do to survive.
Well, this is true but why would you when you could go to a licensed dentist? Someone mentioned Castaway- that was necessity. Here in the US we have dentists to help us with our dental problems. Why would we not avail ourselves of that?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the area that you're in, as well as your insurance, or lack thereof. Where I live, there are many dentists, and we have good insurance. However, other more rural areas don't have the same availability of dentists, doctors, vets, etc. Add into that, a lack of dental insurance, or dental insurance that isn't very good, and you're faced w/a real dilemma, especially if you don't have the cash needed to pay for a dentist.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
It depends entirely on the area that you're in, as well as your insurance, or lack thereof. Where I live, there are many dentists, and we have good insurance. However, other more rural areas don't have the same availability of dentists, doctors, vets, etc. Add into that, a lack of dental insurance, or dental insurance that isn't very good, and you're faced w/a real dilemma, especially if you don't have the cash needed to pay for a dentist.
Yeah that.

While I would like to go to a doc/dentist if needed, it's nice to know how to DIY if the circumstances demand such.

As for sewing stuff and people up...I've not had to sew myself up yet, but I've been close. My crossbow string snapped and nearly took off a part of my finger. I debated getting it sewn (it could have used probably 3-5 stitches), and instead cleaned it well (with betadine LOL), and dressed it. It healed nicely, with no infection or issues.

Latest posts