Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got 20 butternut squash, about 4 gallons romas, and a pile of gigantic zucchini. 🙌

Let the cooking and canning begin (again) 😅
I decided to feed zucchini to the chickens and goats. The only way my kids and I will eat zucchini is in zucchini bread (cake). I figured how much sugar it would take to make the zucchini bread and decided it wasn't a good nutrition choice for us.

Romas were made into BBQ sauce.

I haven't started the butternut squashes yet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Lunch for me and kids is [lamb] bone broth, including seaweed and microgreens, organic sprouted whole wheat bread with butter. DS6 and I like the bread even though it is coarse and heavy.

Budget notes:
Lamb bone practically $0 because we raise our own on grass and the bone is "waste" from a meal 2 weeks ago. We have made at least 3 gallons bone broth off the bones so far.

The bread would be expensive. I paid $65 for 25# organic wheat berries ($2.60/pound, about 1# per loaf), and $40 for the grain mill. Organic yeast is $0.58 per Tablespoon when purchased in 8 oz package. Local maple syrup $0.55 per 2 Tablespoons. I used dry whole milk powder, not calculating that price.
20211024_121519.jpg

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal it sounds like your family eats similarly. Perhaps we can swap recipes and meal/snack ideas?
I don't know why I didn't see this, sorry, I was not ignoring you at all :)

We do eat healthy for the most part--I mean I have a store made lasagna and a stir fry mix in the freeze for those nights where the day has been crazier than it should--but most stuff we eat is whole foods. I mean I was just cutting up fresh veggies to pickle and DD7 came in and grabbed a handful of circle cut carrots and went about her day.

I am not one for recipes--I am a dump and adjust type of lady--drives DH crazy mad but no one here starves :)

I would love to share meal ideas though. for tonight we are eating homemade chicken nuggets--just olive oil with seasoning coated chicken baked and then salad with fresh veggies from the local CSA still. :)

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I decided to feed zucchini to the chickens and goats. The only way my kids and I will eat zucchini is in zucchini bread (cake). I figured how much sugar it would take to make the zucchini bread and decided it wasn't a good nutrition choice for us.

Romas were made into BBQ sauce.

I haven't started the butternut squashes yet.
you can use honey or maple syrup instead of sugar--still a lot and probably not inexpensive but a little better for ya.

EDIT-so i took a deeper look into the Wahls Protocol food list and it is very similar to how we eat at our house though we do eat eggs and milk/cheese from the local creamery and lactose free milk for DD15 as we don't do nuts/peanuts in the house due to severe allergies.

Not perfect by any means--my kids do take some store bought items to school in their lunch or for snack but they are typically whole food items where the first ingredient isn't some sort of processed sugar.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Got DS6 eating oatmeal for breakfast. I add cream so it doesnt get sticky, molasses for minerals and flavor, maple syrup for sweet to convince a 6 year old that oatmeal is better than Frosted Flakes, and salt to enhance sweetness. He asked me to make another batch for seconds. 😁

When I followed WP more strictly, I had oatmeal with salt only, and egg and kale powder on top. Not very good tasting to me.

I could have reduced cost substantially by using granulated sugar, but I'm also trying to eat local (except for sourcing foods that have nutrients that are lacking in my area)

I could have improved nutrition by cooking eggs and sausage. I didnt think of that, whoops.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oatmeal didnt stick with DS6 for long. He was hungry in 2 hours. Remind me to make eggs tomorrow.

Box mac n cheese for lunch. The box sauce packet contains soy, so I trash it and make sauce with butter, cream powder, cheese, and nutritional yeast. The boxes were a bulk buy from before lost soy and legumes - just a couple boxes left.

Venison shank roast and butternut squash soup.

DS14 drank 2 quarts of bone broth today. I put purple carrots in and the broth is purple. He didnt mind. We wonder how long it will stay purple?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The oatmeal might stick longer if you put cream or butter in it. I dunno if that works with the Wahls Protocol, but it would help with the hunger pangs.