WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:caf I AM UP AND ON IT!!! :lol:

This WILL get this done this morning boy howdy!

done by 11:30
image_67194113.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fig jam.

Went to neighbors to pick figs -- her tree is full & they don't use. This variety ripens late, my friend in town ripens early & is done (I dehydrated those) I brought home a box full, prepped & left in pan while I took another gal to an appointment. Got home, cooked figs and just removed 5 pints of fig jam from WB canner...another 1/2 pint kept out to enjoy.😁. Then, added salt & 2 dz oldest eggs to that pot of boiling water -- chicken treats. Now I'm down to only 5 dz. Time to bestow some on DD. May make some egg salad, too. 🤷 I'm in the mood. ☺️

Too much milk again...soft farmer cheese & figs. Yum! Makes a fast breakfast with a toasted bagel. It's been a great day at home.😁. Cheese making later today.

My neighbor says I can have that fig tree -- sure wish I could!!! Way too big to move ... Like 15 yr old. But I like it there, goats don't eat it.....🤣🤣🤣👍 I'll be picking a couple more weeks.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
can you take cuttings to root? :)
Yes -- BUT, so far my goats have destroyed every fruit tree I've planted. Fences?? Yeah, baby -- they find a way in, over, whatever. It's a continual assault. It costs more to build & rebuild Fort Knox & replace plants than to buy fruit.

So, I just go 3/10 of a mile and pick. Someone needs to enjoy them :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
14 quarts of tomato chunks yesterday.

Mom was out weeding and asked if i wanted any help picking, i said i think i got this. later she mentioned i could put the tomatoes on the lounge chair outside to go through them and rinse them off, i'd already knocked most of the dirt off them and had already brought them inside. so again, no thanks Mom i'm all set. she came in from weeding and i was dunking them the get the skins ready to come off. no thanks Mom, i can do this, you've done enough today already, do i want help cutting them up? no, it's going ok, thank you Mom. what she did help me with was finding the box of rings and lids she stashed away in the garage someplace. :) it took me some time to get them done, but it was all ok.

today all i have left to do is write the date and batch code on the lids and put them someplace in the pantry (aka the front closet) and bury the scraps. it's already rained so i'm not sure i'll be burying anything today, we'll see how it goes. :)

lids at the store the other day were $3.50ish for regular mouth jars and almost $5 for large mouths. we didn't pick any up since we thought we had enough already. jars were not too bad at $14 per case, but again i think we're ok there since my cousin brought us a few cases of new ones. that was helpful. :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to get more lids next time I am at walmart or any store that has them.
Its not a lot of parsnips and green beans, I may just freeze them BUT, I dont know what freezing the parsnips will do to them??
I dont want to mess them up

image_16859649.JPG