WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'm curious what tge whole recipe is. It sounds as if it might cause GI symptoms from lectins.

If the wrong bean is used, and the instant refried beans arent cooked at a high enough temperature, it could be deadly due to Phytohaemagglutinin toxin. Kidney beans, white kidney beans and broad beans are the most toxic, while other beans have less concentrated toxin in them.
This is what she was going to do with pinto beans

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
anyone have a good sauce, jam or salsa recipe for Lemon Boy tomatoes? I haven't ever grown or canned with yellow tomatoes and don't know if there is any difference but the plants have been amazing this year so I have a lot.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I am wondering if it was a quality control issue. We've purchased jars and lids all year. The lids are not consistent I am able to see subtle differences in the sealing rubber, some look almost sloppy in its appearance

i've even seen quality control issues with the name brand lids so it's always a risk. at least when we take things back there aren't any questions asked.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anyone have a tried and true vegetable broth canning recipe with canning times?

I can't seem to find one--lots of stock on the stove!

Making some pickle relish and corn relish today too.

no, my intuition says you should look into pressure canning for that unless you plan on using salt as your preservative (or something else). just make your vegetable broth and then pressure can it as long as you'd need to ensure it being safe.

it won't likely be acidic enough to BWB.

Latest posts